Any problems with Scubapro Twin Jet new swivel buckles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pisces

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I just got a pair (internet order) of the the Scubapro Twin Jets in colbalt. I made sure that they sent me a pair with the new swivel buckles.

Compared to my old Beauchat fin buckles, the plastic on the Twin Jet buckles seem a bit thin (& flimsy). Do people find that the new swivel buckles are holding up ok?

What do you find is the best way to put the fins on and take them off? Undo the buckle? Loosen the strap?

I'm going on a long diving trip would really hate for the buckles to break in the middle of my trip. My old Beauchat buckles don't fit the Scubapro. Do most dive shops sell spare Twin Jet buckles?

Thanks!

Hi Bengiddens,

Thanks for you reply!

I was thinking about spring straps. I've never seen anyone with them, but I read the previous posts about how to make your own. It seems to be a bit complicated, requiring lots of tools that I don't have. I found a dive shop that carries them and can put them on for me.

Are there any serious downsides to changing to spring straps? Are the spring straps comfortable? I assume they fit them to you with your booties on. Would fit be a problem if I were to change the type or thickness of booties?

Thanks!

Dunno :( My current Cressi fins won't take them because of their buckle design, and until I get a drysuit with different size boots requiring bigger fins I can't justify the spendoola. Haven't heard of any downsides, people say they're comfortable, plus they should never break. I've been diving with a guy who broke a regular strap putting his fins on during a shore dive - after we had geared up and got out past the surf. Most frustrating. Along with broken mask straps and blown/missing o-rings, fin straps failing is one of the most common reasons for having to abort a dive, so if you can eliminate it, go for it.

Cost is the only downside - but you only have to spend it once.

bengiddins

I read earlier on Scubapro's site that the twin jet fins have a limited lifetime warranty including straps and buckles.

Sure, it won't save THAT dive, but if you carried an extra in your save a dive kit...

Hi,

I'm leaving for a trip in a few days (of course EVERYTHING must be done at the last minute for trips...), and it'll be the first time I'm using the Twin Jets. I was on the border of size S and M, and I got the M. When I tighten the straps, there is a lot of extra hanging off. So, I decided to bite the bullet an buy a pair of spring straps, which will hopefully take care of worrying about them breaking on a trip as well as the excess straps flopping around!

I got the Manta spring straps. The store installed them for me, so I didn't have to deal with that. They were a bit more than I expected ($55). (I think spare buckles/straps were around $30) The design of the spring straps is really simple. If someone had the right tools and a bit more time, it looks like it would be pretty straightforward to do yourself. I still have to original swivel straps which I will bring on my trip with a couple screws and nuts just in case I need to switch back.... So, I should be all set!

Thanks for your ideas and responses! Will let you know how the fins & straps perform.

You could also get those things that take up some of the slack in fins that are too big - I forget the name though...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom