Any other beach divers here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any other beach divers here?

I want to shoot video off the local beaches. What's the best way to get a 12 pound housed video camera out through the surf. Do you just walk out, camera in one hand, fins in the other? I'm thinking about putting the camera in a float, the kind with an inner tube inside that instructors use. Eventually I want to shoot at night. I do about one a night beach dive a week and would like to show people what it looks like.

Hey Chris - Chris M here....I do this with my housed rig, but if there is any surf to speak of, I usually leave it in the car or at home. Carrying a heavy rig through surf adds a lot more task loading than simply the loss of use of a hand while entering. More importantly, taking a camera through a roiling surf zone is a sure fire way to get a leak, LOTS of sand gets in the o rings (should have heard the grinding last itme I removed my port after a Vets dive with surf).

If surf is low, fins in one hand, camera in the other, and off you go. Once you get in the water I imagine it's buoyant enough that it won't weight the 12# it does on land

If there were enough surf to keep me from bringing the camera, I wouldn't think the float would work, having to negotiate the surf with it.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom