Any opinions on Puerto Morelos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I see that Puerto Morelos is quite close to the Cancun Airport (20 minutes), has some small hotels as well as some dive shops. It's also a peaceful liuttle town.

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with Puerto Morelos and if it's worthwhile and could recommend hotels/dive shops there?

Thanks,

Sy

That town has a very strange vibe to me. Probably the reason it has stayed small while the rest of the coast is growing. We stayed a week there right before the big hurricane hit in '05 and thought that the snorkeling was better than the diving. Now we go back to either PDC or Akumal. The beaches are not as nice as Akumal and PDC is a much more vibrant scene.

You know I thought so too, about the strange vibe. I took a taxi there by myself and didn't see a whole lot but the dive shop and the town square. The town square was dusty and not inviting, desolate. The diving was pretty good, we dove a wreck that was cool and a nice reef. You might look at tripadvisor for information about the town and hotels around it.
We tend to go about an hour south of there to Puerto Aventuras, a small marina settlement with restaurants in walking distance. Or Akumal that is a small fishing town, with everything along the gorgeous beach, a couple good restaurants and a little art gallary. Both PA and Akumal have good diving and are close to Playa Del Carmen. If you are going to be cenote diving then Pto Aventuras is the most central to the cenotes.

Does anybody know a good dive op there? We're staying at Azul Beach Hotel later this summer and want to get some diving in.

You know I thought so too, about the strange vibe. I took a taxi there by myself and didn't see a whole lot but the dive shop and the town square. The town square was dusty and not inviting, desolate. The diving was pretty good, we dove a wreck that was cool and a nice reef. You might look at tripadvisor for information about the town and hotels around it.
We tend to go about an hour south of there to Puerto Aventuras, a small marina settlement with restaurants in walking distance. Or Akumal that is a small fishing town, with everything along the gorgeous beach, a couple good restaurants and a little art gallary. Both PA and Akumal have good diving and are close to Playa Del Carmen. If you are going to be cenote diving then Pto Aventuras is the most central to the cenotes.

The wreck you saw most likely was the Mexican mine sweeper they cleaned up and sank. Its the area's claim to diving fame. It's called C-96 or something like that.

About the vibe, PM seems stuck in time about 30 years ago. I can say that all the local expat women we talked to were starved for conversation. It was like Becky and me were new and different, a great diversion from the day to day grind. The only thing that was in the present were the prices. Strange place and I don't know if there is a curse or if the locals keep it that way be design. Being that close to so much growth, it should be livelier.

PA and Akumal are very different. PA is a planned resort with a "southern California marina" feel. Akumal is more of an upscale chaotic Mexican beach resort without a town to support it. Restaurants and nightlife is better in PA and the beaches/prices are better in Akumal. If Paco's Tacos are still at the Pemex in PA, try them. Very good and pretty cheap.

Sushi, I cannot give you a good lead. The shop we used has since been sold and I have no idea how good they are anymore. We were there a couple months before Wilma made PM ground zero and I am sure that all the coral we saw snorkeling is on the beach along with the car ferry to Coz. Very impressive to see that big a ship dry 30m from the high tide mark. I did say that PM was ground zero for Wilma!

Hope this helps, we will be in Akumal on May 9th!!!!

Abou If Paco's Tacos are still at the Pemex in PA, try them. Very good and pretty cheap.

Unfortunately Taco Paco in Puerto Aventura is not longer next to the Pemex, they moved few kilometers to the south, next to the Pemex in Xpu-ha. Give them a try, specially with the tamarindo' s sauce.

BIG thanks on the update! We will be in Akumal starting the 9th and will look for him!

There is a small town that was hit by hurricane Dean in 2007 called Mahahual. There is a cruise ship port there that is almost finished being rebuilt from the hurricane damage. The cruise ships call it "Costa Maya". This is excellent diving and not a lot of people have dived this area. There is a great dive op called Dreamtime Dive Centre. www.dreamtimediving.com If you are planning a trip soon, this would be a great place to go. The locals would appreciate the business. There are some very nice places to stay as the town is a wonderful mixture of Mexicans, Italians, Canadians, Dutch, Australian, and of course Americans. The town is agreat way to see the Playa Del Carmen before the tourist explosion. It is located 2 hours south of Tulum. The road is paved and travel is very easy. Puerto Morelos is a small town caught in some twilight zone experience. I am not sure if it will ever change. Akumal is beautiful. I believe the snorkeling is better there than the diving. Snorkel around the boats and you will see turtles. Akumal means in Mayan place of turtles. This is a beautiful part of Mexico. Get out and explore this coast. You will happy you did.

puerto morelos has a couple of dive shops, dive morelos which used to be owned by a lovely austrailian lady, now owned by a dumbass american spear fisher who completly disobeys the national park and mystic divers..... i dont have experience with them.
the town is a little random although it is growing slowly but the beaches are worth hanging out on for a day or two.
dive sites are nice, the c 56 wreck is a cracker and the reefs have funky formations and diversity in marine life.:
overall, i wouldnt spend more than a day there but thats just me......... and a few others! :)

Back
Top Bottom