Any opinions on Alor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for the late reply..been very busy with our first group.

Laha/twilight is around 45 minutes from the jetty. We have an 18m boat, fully covered, charging stations etc etc and we bring a good lunch with us. We do 3 (or 4) dives, then return. It's pretty comfortable. No complaints so far :)
Thanks for your reply. Anyway you already informed about the Ambon bay boatride in a previous reply, I should have read more thoroughly before asking.

Just one more, in case I would be interested for tucking a few days diving in Ambon, in between a R4 trip and a short dive stay in Bandaneira : you also sell daydives outside packages, don't you? If so where can I find your pricelist, if not on your website can you pls bump me a PM. Thanks.

It would be a nice gesture if you Alor thread hijackers would actually take your Ambon discussion to a new thread. Don't shoot the messenger, please ... it just makes the Indo form easier to navigate.:wink:

I can highly recommend Alor. I have been to most of the famous destinations in Indo (R4, Bunaken, Komodo, Sumatra + more) and i think Alor is my favorite. I have been there 3 times in the last 4 years. There are a few sites known for big stuff where I have seen sharks, rays and tunas and was lucky enough to see schooling hammerheads twice on my last trip in April this year. There is also amazing coral and macro life on most of the other sites around and to the south of Pura island. Also there is great muck diving in Kalabahi bay where i saw my first rhinopia:D So really a huge variety of sites for just one place, something I have never been able to find anywhere else. Komodo has more big fish sites, but the variety of sites in Alor (especially the muck) keeps me entertained not doing the same thing every dive. Also the visibility is way better than in Raja Ampat. Alor has a very remote feeling and I like this but maybe others don't. There is no nightlife, just diving. But with this at least there is no crowds like in Bali, Lombok, Komodo, Sulawesi and Raja. I think the variety of dive sites and lack of other divers is why I have narrowed it down to my favorite.

I do think Alor is one of those places where you have to dive with the right guide who know the dive sites and currents to have the best dives. Also to tell the guide what your interests are because like I said there are big fish sites, beautiful coral macro sites and muck sites. The macro and muck are I think the most popular with the operators because they can be easily planned with less current. I always put in a request to hit the big fish spots while I am there, so make sure to do that when you go so you don't miss out.

Back
Top Bottom