Any news on the MDS boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teams Recover Sunken Tour Boat Off Maui

HONOLULU -- After two tries, a tour boat that sank in waters near Molokini crater off of Maui was recovered on Friday.

The Kai Anela went down in 25 feet of water last Friday.

The company tried to raise her last week, but was unsuccessful.

Special salvage equipment was brought in from the mainland for Friday's attempt, which was supervised by the U.S. Coast Guard.

The Kai Anela was towed to the Kihei Small Boat Harbor and then taken by trailer to the MDS base yard.

When the boat sank, the crew of another tour boat rescued 15 people. There were no injuries.

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/news/10021036/detail.html

Funny... it was a fishing vessel that rescued the crew & guests on the Kai Anela... and also called it in to the USCG. :)

But, yes, the boat has been raised, there is apparently some visible damage to the reef, but estimates are less than a gallon of petroleum products contaminated the environment during the recovery, thanks to the "diaper" used to corral and soak up the slick.

Wow, that's GREAT news!! The potential damage to the reef was huge from her sinking, but to know that it was minor is music to the ears. :D

Thanks for the update....now to wait for the video! :wink:

Funny... Since the first night on the 10 PM local news every report I have heard and all the pictures I have seen indicate it was the TOUR boat Pineapple Express that picked up the wayward snorkelers. Not many fishing vessels are inflatables.

www.khnl.com

Bad info on SB is not limited to slander. Bad info on the khnl site is the continued use of the word propeller instead of impeller.

halemano:
Funny... Since the first night on the 10 PM local news every report I have heard and all the pictures I have seen indicate it was the TOUR boat Pineapple Express that picked up the wayward snorkelers. Not many fishing vessels are inflatables.

www.khnl.com

Bad info on SB is not limited to slander. Bad info on the khnl site is the continued use of the word propeller instead of impeller.
Well, perhaps someone is getting their stories crossed as to who radioed in the SOS, and who actually rescued. According to my local sources, it was a fishing boat that did both -- though perhaps they didn't do the rescue.

Of course, the local media also claimed that the Kai Anela was a fishing tour... so that might say something about the reliability of any media...

I don't see anything here that is slanderous -- perhaps a review of that term would be timely:

From m-w.com:
Main Entry: slander
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English sclaundre, slaundre, from Anglo-French esclandre, alteration of escandle, from Late Latin scandalum stumbling block, offense -- more at SCANDAL
1 : the utterance of false charges or misrepresentations which defame and damage another's reputation
2 : a false and defamatory oral statement about a person -- compare LIBEL

Note: in order for a statement to be slanderous it must be both false and defame and damage another's reputation.

And if you read the definition closely, you'll note that it must be an oral statement (or "utterance") -- you're looking more for the word "libel":

Main Entry: li·bel
Pronunciation: 'lI-b&l
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, written declaration, from Anglo-French, from Latin libellus, diminutive of liber book
1 a : a written statement in which a plaintiff in certain courts sets forth the cause of action or the relief sought b archaic : a handbill especially attacking or defaming someone
2 a : a written or oral defamatory statement or representation that conveys an unjustly unfavorable impression b (1) : a statement or representation published without just cause and tending to expose another to public contempt (2) : defamation of a person by written or representational means (3) : the publication of blasphemous, treasonable, seditious, or obscene writings or pictures (4) : the act, tort, or crime of publishing such a libel
From m-w.com (again)

Again, the impression must be unjust. I hardly think that holds true here. The truth remains: the boat sank, the captain may have been able to prevent it, even if it was just getting everyone off the boat sooner.

Back
Top Bottom