Any negatives using a backgas regulator on an Argon bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm adding an Argon bottle to my drysuit setup. I have an 'older' regulator that I want to put into service for this, but until the service on that regulator is complete, are there any negatives associated with using one of my 'extra' HOG D-1(s) ?

Should I have the D-1 cleaned for O2 service after I switch to my permanent Argon regulator (back gas tank will not be > EAN40).

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!!

Add an OPV, there won't be a second stage to relieve any creep.

I made my own Argon Reg from an older piston Aqualung Calypso O2 1st stage.As Spectrum said, I added an OPV valve I found online and a button gauge. Works like a charm above 200'. Before It goes any deeper, I would need to replace it with an over balanced first stage. I rebuilt the 1st stage and cleaned it with simple green and a hypersonic bath and lubed with cristo-lube. Not really to O2 clean it, its just my process with all my regs unless factory notes otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom