Any issues with Aeris Atmos Elite vs. Atmos AI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I like my Atmos AI, but thinking about going hoseless. Any reason not to?

I've got an Atmos AI. I'd like to know more about moving to a hoseless installation.

Is this done with a 3rd party kit? Or does it come from Aeris? And do you remove the quick-install connector on the Atmos and then securely connect the transmitter device?

Thanks.

I love my Aeris AI, but when I'm in the market to replace it, I'll likely go hoseless. Oceanic has that new system where you and your buddy can code your computers into eachother's transmitter, so I'd want to look at that for me and my husband.

For now, my AI is only a couple of years old, so a new computer won't be for another 4-5 years probably. :wink:

I just bought an Aeris Atmos Elite and have used it on 4 dives. I love the fact that it is hoseless and effortless. Everything on your wrist in one glance. I did not have any problems with losing a signal, except when I was gearing up and putting on my fins. As soon as my arm was back near my inflator, it regained the signal instantly. I have heard that the hoseless may lose the signal near a strobe flash, but I have not had to deal with that issue yet.

I also got a really great deal on the Atmos Elite with transmitter; less than other computers without the transmitter. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't save your ending pressure in the log, but I'm not sure if any Atmos computers (or any other brands) do that. Just go buy one

steely123:
I just bought an Aeris Atmos Elite and have used it on 4 dives. I love the fact that it is hoseless and effortless. Everything on your wrist in one glance. I did not have any problems with losing a signal, except when I was gearing up and putting on my fins. As soon as my arm was back near my inflator, it regained the signal instantly. I have heard that the hoseless may lose the signal near a strobe flash, but I have not had to deal with that issue yet.

I also got a really great deal on the Atmos Elite with transmitter; less than other computers without the transmitter. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't save your ending pressure in the log, but I'm not sure if any Atmos computers (or any other brands) do that. Just go buy one
Actually, if you have the download cable it does save the ending pressure. The software leaves a lot to be desired but it does provide enough to fill out the logbook without having to do it immediately after the dive. I have the Aeris Elite and have no regrets with the purchase.

What sort of battery does the transmitter take? How long does its battery last? How do you know when its time to change it?

For me the battery on the Elite computer last about 50 dives. Dont know about the transmitter because I change the battery at the same time as the computer. Combined its less then 10bucks. I have not changed the oring as you are supposed to but I will next time....oring kit 20bucks.

If I had to do it all over again I would buy the Atmos 2 or any basic wrist computer that calculates theoretically absorbed N2....which I think all computers have this ability. Just my opinion.

The transmitter takes the CR2 lithium batteries. They look like a normal battery, just a lot smaller. Two of them came in a package for about $9.00. The receiver takes the CR2450 (button battery). They were a little more difficult to find. I checked the local discount stores (Wal-Mart & etc.) and couldn’t find them. I ended up locating them at Radio Shack for approximately $3.50. I have had the comp for close to 9 months and have only replaced the battery in the receiver. The comp will indicate when 75% of the battery is depleted and tell you which battery needs replaced.

The more I think about it, the more i think I am going to stick with the AI. Thanks.

Jarrett, you're probably in the same mind-set as me....you'd really love to go hoseless, but after looking at it for awhile, realize that if you wait a couple of years the hoseless computers will be even better. :D At least that's what I keep telling myself!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom