Any info on the Sea Elite Octoflate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knuckles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was looking for an Edge Egress to add to my new Hog BP/W and Edge Epic 2012. I came upon the Sea Elite Octoflate which looks like the same product as the Egress for a few bucks less. Anything I should know about either product? What's the difference? Should I spend more on a different integrated octo? Thanks.

Sea Elite Octoflate

Also, will most of the integrated octo's be compatible with my Hog wing? Thanks.

"Sea Elite products are sold and serviced exclusively through Divers Supply"

Can I ask why you would want an integrated inflator? Have you been trained in how to use one? And not all integrated inflator assemblies will work with wings. The threads may be different.
I have sold more than a few HOG bpw's and never with an integrated inflator. In fact have never sold an integrated inflator as I try to discourage their use as most new divers really don't understand the limitations they impose on a diver. And on the Epic you would have to replace the std hose for a longer one in order to be able to share air effectively. You'd be much better off with the standard escape octo.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Can I ask why you would want an integrated inflator?
Won't be changing my mind on this.
Have you been trained in how to use one?
Yes.
And not all integrated inflator assemblies will work with wings. The threads may be different.
This is what I needed to know. Is changing the threads relatively easy and inexpensive or should it be avoided? Any info. on the quality of Sea Elite products? Thanks.

Is changing the threads relatively easy and inexpensive or should it be avoided? Any info. on the quality of Sea Elite products?

I think the consensus is Sea Elite wetsuits are fine (shame they no longer sell them) but the regulators and BCs are low quality.

I am not sure what Jim means when he says the threads don't fit. From what I have seen on a regular BC the inflator is removed and the Air 2 is attached with zip ties. The only thing I can think of is if you get an air 2 with the hose and elbow already attached. In that case I guess the fitting may be different.

Many who use these are implementing a pull-to-dump valve in the configuration to further ease the dumping of air if you are on the regulator (so as not to have to remove it from your mouth). ScubaPro had always had them in conjunction with an additional dump on the opposite shoulder with a cord on the front of the jacket (pure genius IMHO) If the BCD is not equipped as such, that is when the elbow thread becomes a question as you might want to set it up as a pull to dump....

outside of that, its now going to degrade to the usual discussion....

Most (but not all) BCDs use a 1' corrugated hose.

In the case of both Hog, and this alternate inflator reg, they both use a 1" fitting, so there are no problems with how they fit together.

Many who use these are implementing a pull-to-dump valve in the configuration to further ease the dumping of air if you are on the regulator (so as not to have to remove it from your mouth). ScubaPro had always had them in conjunction with an additional dump on the opposite shoulder with a cord on the front of the jacket (pure genius IMHO) If the BCD is not equipped as such, that is when the elbow thread becomes a question as you might want to set it up as a pull to dump....

This is a good point in terms of how to think about things, but unless the corrugated hose is a two piece inline pull dump design (like Oceanic, and some Aqualung) it's not easy to actually pull the dump with the inflator in the mouth.

But that's not a problem since the alternate inflator regs, in use, have their exhaust oriented in such a way as to allow manual dumping when they are in the mouth, as long as the diver is in a heads up pose.

ScubaPro needed the shoulder dump because they used to front mount their BCD corrugated hose instead of shoulder mounting it on the old stab jackets. I always wondered if that was a conscious design issue to keep the Air2 in front of the diver.

Last edited:
I think the consensus is Sea Elite wetsuits are fine (shame they no longer sell them) but the regulators and BCs are low quality.
That seems to be what most have said from my short study of the product. Should I be concerned with the quality of the Edge Egress, which looks identical and cost $10 more, or should I continue searching for something pricier with better quality? Thanks.

....but unless the corrugated hose is a two piece inline pull dump design (like Oceanic, and some Aqualung) it's not possible to actually pull the dump with the inflator in the mouth.

Somehow, I have managed with a NON-SP jacket, and an Air-2 with DR's PTD assembly...... clench your teeth, and pull the hose (that sounded dirty)....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom