Any Helios 9 18w HID owners out there (need battery replacement) ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redstrom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi,

I need to replace the battery in my Halcyon Helios 9 18w HID, so I'm curious to find out where you get your replacement packs from.

I was hoping to save some $$$ (Halcyon wants $400+) by picking one up from batteryspace.com (or the likes), but unsure what the exact specs should be.

Also, would you recommend purchasing a new charger with the new pack?

Thanks much

Rik

I had my 13.5Ah and 4.5Ah packs replaced at Batteries Plus. The 4.5 was 70ish bucks, and the 13.5 was close to 300. I imagine the 9Ah is somewhere in the middle.

I took my old packs in and told them I wanted an exact replacement with the highest quality cells they could get. The Sanyo brand cells are the good ones. If they try to push nicads on you, tell them absolutely not and insist on the nihm. At my local Batteries Plus, they reused the old wiring, so my new packs still have the thermistor and anderson connectors.

The new Halcyon charger is good. I never had any confidence in the old style one (with 3 lights on it, square shaped housing). When I got my 13.5 pack, I bought a new charger from batterspace. Its worked very well and was surprisingly cheap. I had to install the anderson connectors on it my self, but thats no big deal.

I found anderson connectors at hobby shops (like for RC airplanes). Get a few in case you mess up crimping/ soldering.

Thanks for the tip!

I called the store and a number of other places yesterday. Ended up ordering a replacement pack from the batterystore.com. The guy I spoke with knew exactly what I was looking for, plus he offered to sold my existing connectors to the new battery at no extra cost.

Back
Top Bottom