Any good diving out of Hilo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My girlfriend and I have the opportunity to stay (free) with friends in Hilo.
Any good diving there?

Or should we bite the bullet and stay in hotels on the Kona side?

We are both very advanced divers.

My girlfriend and I have the opportunity to stay (free) with friends in Hilo.
Any good diving there?

Or should we bite the bullet and stay in hotels on the Kona side?

We are both very advanced divers.

I snorkeled the Kapoho tide pools which you, as a very advanced diver, might find too mundane but I liked it. Very safe and easy yet still a fair amount of stuff to see. I did a night snorkel there and really enjoyed the eels and other creatures out on the reef. Its in Pahoa area which has some very nice scenery too. Not far from hilo. If you get to stay free its worth checking out. Kona has a lot more scuba options.

I have not been over there diving personally, but I do have a good friend who lives in Hilo who has been bugging me to come over and try the east side. He dives around Richardson's and a few other nearby spots. His take... It is different, can be murky in areas, but can be quite good in others.

I also had a quick conversation this weekend with a divemaster who looks to be offering boat services out of Hilo. He was emphatic that some of the sites he was exploring were equal to anything on the Kona side. Didn't get a chance to chat longer, need to find out more.

A couple dive ops do work out of Hilo and can be found online.

Kona it is then

Hi Doc Harry,

Sorry I'm late to the party!

I'll repeat what I typically write when Scuba-Boarders ask "Hilo or Kona?": Kona.

I love living and diving in Hilo, but, we are the windward side and can have marginal or even no-dive weather if the tradewinds kick up.

Not a problem if you live here; just dive the next weekend (or drive to Kona).

Huge problem if you are visiting and have limited time.

Looking out my window today at Hilo Bay, my "prediction" for today and maybe tomorrow would be pretty decent diving on the Hilo side (alas, I am stuck at work)... but conditions are entirely dependant on the wind, and thus can change quickly.

On a calm day, I will still rank Hilo (shore dive at Leleiwi in particular) against the best Kona and Kohala has to offer; but since Kona is usually in the "lee", you simply have a much better chance of great dive conditions and great viz on that side.

Enjoy your trip!

Best Wishes.

Yes, there is good shore diving out of Hilo. You might check out Nautilus Diving in Hilo. Bill can be a really good dive guide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom