Any Golfers Out There? Combining Golf/Scuba Vacations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chesai

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All - I'm new to these boards so please be kind!

I love to dive on holidays but I love to play golf as well (yes that's a lot of luggage!). So far the only place in the world I've found where I would say that BOTH the diving and the golf were truly world class is in Hawaii, especially Big Island and Maui. A lot of places are good for one and so-so for the other. Mauritius came close but the diving was a bit average, Thailand came close but the diving was a long day of sailing away from where the golf was, Grand Cayman I love but there's only one average golf course. Scotland is #1 for golf but I'm not a cold water diver!!

Anyone have any other recommendations?

Not to be too specific but general criteria is that there's enough variety in both sports to be interesting for 2 weeks, warm weather, and good accommodation within say an hour of both golf and diving spots.

I live in London and am a regular in Hawaii, so long-haul travel isn't an issue :)

Thanks in advance everyone!!

I played a couple rounds at Black Pearl on Roatan. I put it up there with a couple courses on Maui that I have played. World class? Depends on who's world you live in.
I didn't bother bringing clubs as their rental was pretty high quality. I think I paid $40 for the day.

I am not a golfer myself, but my father and brother are, so lately, I have been trying to combine the two for family holidays (and good spas for my mother). We have only tried Mauritius and Thailand so far, but it looks like OP has already tried those. Looks like Hawaii is going to make the top of the list for future holidays ^^.

One destination I have been having my eyes on is South Africa, and I have been wondering if others have had experience with it?

From what I have seen, there are also a couple of resorts in the Maldives that have golf courses, but not sure what they are worth.

Anyways, sorry I haven't been really useful here, but I will be keeping an eye on this thread.

I assume you've been to Kauai? There's close to a dozen courses there and the diving is on par with Kona, just more boat-oriented.

Bermuda? I know nothing about either there.

Both World Class is tough. If you're willing to give a little on the diving - Myrtle Beach SC. We stay in Litchfield Beach - billed as a golf community. Just to the north, around Myrtle about 18 courses including the TPC, just south on Pawley's Island - a dozen more.

All boat diving, here's the shop nearby. Myrtle Beach Scuba Diving | Express Water Sports
Coastal Scuba is the other on the north end of Myrtle Beach itself. Both dive roughly the same dives.It's good, mostly wreck diving but not overly clear. The longer the ride the clearer/deeper it gets - all day trips get out to the Gulfstream so it's still pretty warm yet deeper.

There must be somewhere in Florida also, I just can't think of where. Maybe around the SE coast which has the better close diving. We used to golf on the SW coast (Siesta Key, Clearwater area) but the diving there is all boat diving and mostly wrecks out an hour or so into the Gulf which is pretty flat/sandy there.

Last edited:
There must be somewhere in Florida also, I just can't think of where.

South East coast! Miami, Ft Laud, West Palm etc. Tons of great golf courses and tons of great dive spots. There isn't much golf in the keys but it's a fairly short drive.

I'm both a golfer and a diver and it's the perfect place live for both. The nearest dive spot is 2 miles away and so is the nearest golf course! :)

Your request is a tough one. I'm also an avid golfer with a 7 handicap. When you say good golf I'm assuming quality lay out with at least a 135 or higher slope. Mid South East Florida is likely your best bet. I have not been to Hawaii so I can't comment there. As mentioned the Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm have a lot of diving with a lot of diversity. You can do shallow recreational reef all the way through to full trimix wrecks and everything in between. There are some very nice golf courses that will challenge you regardless of your handicap.
Golf in FL is very different that in the UK however you will find it challenging and the courses are pretty in a very different way from UK and even Hawaii courses. The diving can also be easy or challenging depending on what you're looking for. It is different so keep in mind that there will also be a learning curve for the more challenging sites, even though it is warm water.

Have you looked into Bermuda?

Sandals has several resorts in the Caribbean that have golf, and all of their resorts offer diving. Last time I was at Sandals Grande St. Lucian there were folks on the dive boat that were staying at Sandals Regency La Toc for the golfing and others were staying at the Grande St. Lucian and golfing at La Toc. That day we dove Superman's Flight and Virgin Cove and had a blast. If you need specific info send me a message and I connect you to the travel agent that I use, she's awesome! I can also send you a link to the videos I shot as well. Before all the Sandals naysayers pile on, In my opinion based on my personal experience, Sandals offers relaxing, stress free vacations with great diving-especially in St. Lucia! They are not a hard core diving destinations. A 2 tank morning followed by relaxing afternoon by the pool and great entertainment in the evening all with great food and top shelf drinks included is how i like to spend my vacation dollars!

There's a lot of Caribbean Islands with one, maybe two golf courses including the Bahamas and St. Croix but the OP seems to be looking for more.
general criteria is that there's enough variety in both sports to be interesting for 2 weeks,

Nothing wrong with Sandals as long as you don't have kids.,.

You said you go to Hawaii. That is a great choice for both. Maui has excellent diving (Molikini, Lanai, Molokai)and great golf like The Kapalua and Wailea. I'll be there doing both in about a month.

Back
Top Bottom