Any general tips for first time liveaboard trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks again for the info! So if we were to rent one it would indeed be those disposable glow sticks that I want to avoid?
From my experience on the TCEX2, I think they rent glow sticks, although I'm not sure if they're the kind that potentially could leak into the ocean. In any event, I would recommend just getting your own.

Ha! If I had a nickel for everytime I lost the cap to that light!

So you have enough nickels to buy a new cap.o_OI’ve personally never lost a cap,only been about 20 night dives though.

Turks and Caicos nickels only yes. And yes, I remove the caps to rinse them and they immediately somehow gets lost in my gear bag. That's why I refuse to use any lights with a twist on cap anymore.

I think others gave great advice. I just wanted to say congratulations on booking your first liveaboard. Welcome to the dark side and it’s a slippery slope, indeed. I went on my 1st one in Sept 2016. Between then and Oct 2017, I did 4 liveaboards. I have another scheduled in April 2018 and then 2 back to back weeks scheduled in September 2018.

What’s that I was saying about slippery slopes? :D I LOVE it so much i haven’t looked back. Shore diving makes me snort and laugh now. Plus, the water at home is freezing.

I think others gave great advice. I just wanted to say congratulations on booking your first liveaboard. Welcome to the dark side and it’s a slippery slope, indeed. I went on my 1st one in Sept 2016. Between then and Oct 2017, I did 4 liveaboards. I have another scheduled in April 2018 and then 2 back to back weeks scheduled in September 2018.

What’s that I was saying about slippery slopes? :D I LOVE it so much i haven’t looked back. Shore diving makes me snort and laugh now. Plus, the water at home is freezing.
Haha I better start saving then, but that sounds great, hopefully we will get back feeling the same!

Some good stuff mentioned here.

The Number one rule is discard 50% of the cloths you think you'll need and then discard 50% of the rest.

I always pack a multi-way extension lead so that I only need 1 power adaptor and I can charge my stuff in a convenient place away from the socket ( I often have more than one charger needed)

MY other top tip is a toweling beach robe. Beach robe.jpg you can throw it on right after a dive, especially great after the morning dive or night dive

Make sure your bags fold flat too to save room. I normally take North face bags as they keep the sea air away from my "dry clothes"

Also I choose not to take a log book, but always a note book I can write up the site names and details to enter later at my leisure.

Enjoy your adventure!!!

Shore diving makes me snort and laugh now. Plus, the water at home is freezing.
Shore diving? WTF is that? I went to Bonaire once and thought, "Wait, I spent all this money so I have to pack all my gear, climb over rocks, then swim out to the site?" Enter the magical world of livaboards-and now I've never looked back! Bonaire was great, but I Livabaords are so much more awesome to have to your hotel, food, and diving right on the same boat.

Last edited:
I always pack a multi-way extension lead so that I only need 1 power adaptor and I can charge my stuff in a convenient place away from the socket ( I often have more than one charger needed)
If anyone is planning on doing this, you may want to double check with the crew on using multiple larger devices on a power strip in your cabin. If your devices draw too much power, you will blow a fuse in your cabin-I've seen this happen before many times. Also, some boats will not allow you to charge your larger devices unattended and will request you to charge these items on a dedicated camera table on the dive deck.

Here's an excellent USB/Surge Protector if you ever need to travel with a charger.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom