Any experience with Reefnet SubSee macro adapters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am upgrading to a Canon G10 with the Ikelite housing, and of course you know that Ikelite does not make any Macro adapters for this, nor do they contemplate doing so.:depressed: I did, however, come across the Reefnet SubSee macro adapters, which purport to simply clamp on the outside of the housing lens and either swing away for normal photography, or swing in front of the lens for enhanced macro work. Looks intriquing...:popcorn: Anybody have any experience or wisdom to share on this idea? All comments gratefully accepted.:D Woody

I'm using a SubSee on a G-10 w/ a Canon housing. Keri Wilk at Reefnet offered to borrow a housing (this was several months ago) so they could cobble up an adapter on their mojo machine and get it out to me pronto--I'd have to imagine they are making (or would make) an adapter for Ikelite. Dove w/ the SubSee for 2 wks on Bonaire a couple weeks ago ("Waaahhh, I'm not there...") and enjoyed it mucho.

On the G-10 you do have to zoom out (it vignettes at wide angle) and it is strong magnification but overall I had a great time. Very handy, swings in place and is held with a magnet. Sharp, no noticeable image quality loss. Left the camera on auto-focus, moved the camera back and forth a bit (obviously w/ this sort of magnification depth of focus is shallow). No problem moving through the water with it, simple to work with etc.

Keri has mentioned in a previous SB post that the company is working on a larger diameter lens set of varying diopter strengths. (I think they are doing this because they know I'll buy those too!) That would certainly add a lot of versatilty to a neat product.

The attchs are full frame, uncropped. I sharpened the Flamingo Tongue a little but otherwise no post-processing. Simply put, I'm glad I bought one! (And no, I don't work for ReefNet--but then again, Keri hardly works for them either! :eyebrow: ) // ww

Attachments

• Arrowpoint full frame.jpg
    Arrowpoint full frame.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Flamingo Tongue full frame.jpg
    Flamingo Tongue full frame.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Spotted Cleaner uncropped.jpg
    Spotted Cleaner uncropped.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 45

Back
Top Bottom