Any experience with a Kapitol Reef snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PriusDrIVER

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I did a search and found a few threads, but I think I only saw one post of someone that had actually used this snorkel....so now that the product has been available longer I thought I'd test with a new thread.

My girlfriend has a hard time snorkeling, she gets dizzy/light headed and after a little while loses interest and goes back to the beach. I know she enjoys snorkeling, she just does not like the dizzy/nauseous/head ache that she gets with it. She is small, like 5' and a very little bit of change...so I'm sure her tidal breath is pretty low, so I believe the problem is she re-breaths too much of the same air from the snorkel tube.

The Kapitol Reef snorkel seems to be designed right around this, using a dedicated exhalation tube. So I am hoping to find people saying it helped them with a similar issue or that the snorkel is at least equal to other snorkels. I know the price is a lot for some plastic and silicon, but the price of anything scuba related is even more so :wink:

The only way I will ever get her to think of trying to scuba again (tried once and failed...) is to get her to be able to snorkel longer, so she will get more interest in seeing what is down below a little closer. We have a trip coming up in November and I know if I can get her past the unpleasant side affects of not getting O2 she will enjoy snorkeling more.

Help!?

I did a search and found a few threads, but I think I only saw one post of someone that had actually used this snorkel....so now that the product has been available longer I thought I'd test with a new thread.

My girlfriend has a hard time snorkeling, she gets dizzy/light headed and after a little while loses interest and goes back to the beach. I know she enjoys snorkeling, she just does not like the dizzy/nauseous/head ache that she gets with it. She is small, like 5' and a very little bit of change...so I'm sure her tidal breath is pretty low, so I believe the problem is she re-breaths too much of the same air from the snorkel tube.

The Kapitol Reef snorkel seems to be designed right around this, using a dedicated exhalation tube. So I am hoping to find people saying it helped them with a similar issue or that the snorkel is at least equal to other snorkels. I know the price is a lot for some plastic and silicon, but the price of anything scuba related is even more so :wink:

The only way I will ever get her to think of trying to scuba again (tried once and failed...) is to get her to be able to snorkel longer, so she will get more interest in seeing what is down below a little closer. We have a trip coming up in November and I know if I can get her past the unpleasant side affects of not getting O2 she will enjoy snorkeling more.

Help!?

I bought one for my wife about one year go. She and I have both tried it. First, I agree it is expensive and additionally, quite bulky and a bit cumbersome. It is, however, well constructed and thoughtfully designed. Interestingly, in my "real world" experience of use, I have not noticed a significant difference in how I felt after a long snorkel. I am not sure if there is a significant difference, at least for me and my wife. I haven't given up on it yet but I would like more experience with the snorkel before I would be comfortable giving you my final thoughts.

Good luck,
Garv

we were sent a couple of them to try..I took one into the pool and felt it is not worth it..Any standard snorkel breathes easier and clears with much less effort than this thing..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom