Any diving to compare with Similan Islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EdSweetman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, i'm new to the site so I do appreciate any responses.

I'm in Vietnam, with 5 weeks left on a backpacker type holiday. I dived the Similan Islands in March and was blown away by how brilliant the diving was.

Can anyone suggest anywhere easily reacheable from Bangkok with this quality of diving?
I'm thinking of Indonesia or Bali, but is seems pricey?

thanks for any help, apologies if it's vague, but am only starting the planning.

Ed

EdSweetman:
Hi there, i'm new to the site so I do appreciate any responses.

I'm in Vietnam, with 5 weeks left on a backpacker type holiday. I dived the Similan Islands in March and was blown away by how brilliant the diving was.

Can anyone suggest anywhere easily reacheable from Bangkok with this quality of diving?
I'm thinking of Indonesia or Bali, but is seems pricey?

thanks for any help, apologies if it's vague, but am only starting the planning.

Ed

If you are on a budget, maybe Perhentian in Malaysia would do. Easy to access from South of Thailand (Train to Sungai Buloh, then bus to Kuala Besut, then ferry), and loads of cheap accomodation.
Another alternative, just besides is Redang.

Hi Patrice, thanks for the info. I just looked up Redang and Perhentian and they look very like Koh Tao. If i wanted to improve on the Similan islands would i need to go as far as Indonesia/Bali? If so any suggestions?
I don't mind spending the money if the quality of the diving is good.

thanks
Ed

EdSweetman:
Hi Patrice, thanks for the info. I just looked up Redang and Perhentian and they look very like Koh Tao. If i wanted to improve on the Similan islands would i need to go as far as Indonesia/Bali? If so any suggestions?
I don't mind spending the money if the quality of the diving is good.

thanks
Ed

I am still too fresh a diver, but I think there are quality diving places :wink:
Anyway, if I had the money and time this year, before Bali, first on my list would be Sipadan (in East Malaysia/Borneo). You can directly fly to Kota Terrenganu from Bangkok I think.

Patrice in Asia:
If you are on a budget, maybe Perhentian in Malaysia would do. Easy to access from South of Thailand (Train to Sungai Buloh, then bus to Kuala Besut, then ferry), and loads of cheap accomodation.
Another alternative, just besides is Redang.

You mean train to Sungai Golok?

A couple friends and I are going to Thailand in November and looking for good places to stay/dive that are reasonable priced any suggestions?

You can have some breathtaking diving moments when diving the local dive sites around Phuket, in relation to the Similans, Racha Noi (the plateau) and Phi Phi Islands offer some dives that are on-par with some Similan dive sites at a fraction of the cost and are easily reachable by dayboat and are visited almost everyother day by the local diveboat operators here

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom