Any diving locations near Tela or La Ceiba, Honduras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been there (Tela and Ceiba) and by being on the coast the water is murky. You have to go out and if you do that, then you'd be better off just going to one of the Bay Islands. Utila and Roatan are the best. Dove with Tony at Pirate Island Divers. He is cool and the dive at Cayos Cochinos was OK, the trip over fine, the trip back...well, just a taste of unnecesary punishment..choppy sea on a panga overloaded with locals for over an hour. DO NOT STAY AT CAYOS COCHINOS OVERNIGHT!! No facilities!! Beware! if the sea or winds change, well, you lost your trip and money as currents get too strong for confort. Booked a trip with Tony for 4 days and stayed only 1 day!

I am going to a wedding at Tela the 1st week of Sept. and my wife and I will go 3 days earlier, take a Ferry from Ceiba to Utila or Roatan, and dive a couple of days before the wedding.

Tela proper has an area that can be snorkeled about 30 - 50 yards out from the beach, also one can dive the remains of the United Fruit Company wharf that burned down about 20 years ago. There are some spots by Punta Sal, however, I know of no dedicated dive shop in Tela.

If in La Ceiba, go to where the majority are saying to go: Cayos Cochinos - excellent diving at Plantation Beach Resort. There are also some seamounts between La Ceiba and Utila that might be worth it if you are fortunate enough to be on a live-aboard in the area (Utila Aggressor), these may also be accessed from some of the Utila dive shops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom