Any diving in the houston area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rig Magician

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be Houston for school the week of 11th-15th. is there any where close to go diving there. i was thinking of bring my gear and making a few dives while there. also anyone interested in making a few afternoon dives.
Thanks
Mark

Hi Rig Magician, and welcome to Texas! Although I've never been there, Twin Lakes seems to be the most popular spot to dive in that area, I think it's in south Houston. It's been improved for divers, sunken items and platforms, etc. Some of the Swampdivers have actually volunteered a lot of the labor for the improvements. It has fish and vegetation, supposed to be a nice place to dive. I've seen reports of 2-30 ft vis, depending on the season, etc.

The other place I've read about in that area is Blue Lagoon, which is supposed to have great vis, but has no life. It's used a lot for training in the Huntsville area, and it's north of Houston. Anywhere you go in Houston, you're going to be driving anyway- it's immense!! Have fun, give a report!

Foo

Foo,
Thanks, i was looking at twin lakes. i think it is close to were i will be anyway. need to get a map and look. thanks again.

Rig,

I see you dive in salt water.....depending upon where ypu are going to be staying, Offatt's Bayou in Galveston is another option. It is located south on I-45 to 61 St. at Galveston...go right about five blocks and you will see a parking area, boat ramp, etc. You can dive right there. Itis a rocky entry...viz is comparable to most Texas lakes and is usually a predictable 5' to 8'. You will probably be able to see more UW life, etc. than in the lakes. So you have another option. There ar eno dive shops in Galveston...thereare two located near the intersection of I-45 and NASA Rd. 1., on the way to Galveston.

Regards,

Never thought about diving the bayou. I imagine you have to be real careful about entanglement in fishing line though.

I will be staying on the east side near the I-10/ 610 split. that would be a long drive in the afternoon trafic. thinking about going to twin lakes. just want to get wet. thanks for the info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom