Any divers with Rheumatoid Arthritis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oregondiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey Divers!

Primary question: Do divers with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) find relief of their symptoms when diving? Any considerations to think about?

Went diving last night, max depth 69 feet (looking for a wall that was supposed to be at 55 feet that we just couldn't find). My hand felt great this morning but then about an hour ago hand started hurting like normal. No idea if it relief was diving related or just because I hadn't used my hands much today.

Backstory: During a recent physical, they took blood. And more blood. Well, and more blood. Next thing I know, yesterday I was sent to Rheumatology with autoimmoune joint disease/positive RA test results. Considering my dad died from RA complications and his mother has Lupus...I am/was at super high risk to get an autoimmoune disease anyway. I just figured my 2 knuckle/joint pain was from working 60 hour work weeks on a computer LOL . So I will be going down the RA rabbit hole in a few months once the Rheumatologist sees me (frickin 4 months to get a first appt??) and wanted to hear from folks how diving impacts their RA.

Thanks for any input others can provide
Shell

I fortunately don't have RA but significant Osteoarthritis. Diving does seem to help me in spite of the fact that most of my diving involves long walks in full gear. Once I am in the water it is heaven. When my back is playing up if I can get a decent deep dive in, it really seems to help.

The arthritis in my knees and feet can impact my finning so I have to extend my legs instead of keeping my knees bent when I am in a bad flare up. Those evil split fins have helped me. I do find when I dive lots I feel better. That could be a placebo effect since I enjoy Diving so much.. but well.. I don't care. :doh: I know I am in a lot worse shape if I work too many days in a week. I wonder if I can convince the boss to give me shorter weeks:) I will get all the diving in I can and be as independent as I can as long as I can.

I will move this thread to the Medical section for you. It may get a bit more attention there. The medical Mods may have some comments for you:happywave:

Thank you for the reply. And appreciate the redirect here..had no idea this forum existed!!

Glad to hear diving helps you! Looks like it may not be RA at this time but mixed connective joint disorder. I will know more in 4 months. Only symptoms I recognize as not normal (as opposed to back pain from sitting on my keister so many hours) is pain in my right hand, knuckles of first 2 fingers.

I am working with a class in the pool today so i will see how my hand does after that..but most underwater time will be at 5 feet deep. Lol

I certified a diver in 2012 who was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis at age 18 months. Her movement is pretty limited. During the training she reported no pain following a dive and able to move with out breaking everything loose the next morning. Her insomnia was gone too for a few days. She reported reduced pain and better movement for a few days following the dives in the cold waters of Southern California (54-56F). Two weeks after I certified her, she took off to the Corn Islands for 10 days of diving. She came back from that trip with reduced (or no) pain for up to a few weeks. A dive buddy of mine takes 3powerful prescription pain killers every day. But, if she can dive to 30 feet or deeper once every 4-5 weeks, she is fine with the occasional Vicodin. Not saying that works for everyone, but many divers (paraplegics and quadriplegic) have reported some pain relief just in the pool and more in open water.

In general terms, any arthritis causes pain which tends to make one not want to move, but the more you move, the more you can move and the less pain you will have. So in short, any activity that gets you up and moving and off the old keester helps. In any case, it is a great excuse to go diving. Sorry, I can't I have to go take a pain treatment for a few hours, now were is my regulator?

I wonder if there are any studies on the effects of diving on Arthritic conditions....

There have been some studies of treating rheumatoid arthritis with hyperbaric oxygen; the results appear to be mixed.

There seems to be more literature on diving and pain relief (eg. [abstract] ANALGESIA PRODUCED BY SCUBA DIVING.) but it seems to be mostly anecdotal.

I know for myself, I get significant relief from back pain by going diving, despite the fact that many of the activities related to diving, like moving and wearing gear on land, are more typically things that aggravate the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom