Any dive advice for Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c1george

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Everyone!
I am new to the site - was directed here by a colleague who recommend that i come here for advice on where to dive in Belize. I am headed to Placencia for my honeymoon on April 15th and we are planning to do a day trip to the Blue Hole, and would also LOVE to catch a whale shark dive. Any recommendations on dive operators to use and/or avoid? Also, any spots that we should absolutely see and/or avoid? Thank you all so much for your help!
~Cassie

Cassie,

I would sugest that you try contacting a dive shop there in Belize they would be the ones:cool2: to give you the informantion your looking for unless some one else here
that had dove there before. I always check with the local dive shops for places to dive at when I have never been there before. I hope this helps some what

Brain
AI

Not to come across as a jerk, but what are your expectations of the Blue Hole?

My friends dove with Splash Divers in Placencia last year during Whale Shark season. They saw 8 (maybe the same one twice) over 2 days. From there, Splash also dives the Blue Hole as an overnight trip with a stopover at one of the atoll resorts - it's a long ride. They further include the Elbow at Turneffe and Lighthouse - the other really good dives.

I hate to mention this also but unless you're spending 2 weeks on your honeymoon, the 15th is not the right week for Whale shark diving - it's based on the Cubera Snapper spawn around the full moon - that's what brings in the sharks.
2013 Belize Whale Shark diving package dates:

March 27th to April 5th
April 25th to May 4th

More info on options with Splash: Belize Blue Hole and Whale Sharks | Scuba Diving & Accommodation | Splash Dive Center | Placencia Belize

Our second choice would have been Avadon Divers - also in Placencia. Avadon Divers Belize

I would sugest that you try contacting a dive shop there in Belize they would be the ones:cool2: to give you the informantion your looking for unless some one else here
that had dove there before. I always check with the local dive shops for places to dive at when I have never been there before. I hope this helps some what
Obviously local dive shops will have information and people will contact them. But asking a local shop who who to use or avoid, or certain other things, is hardly the way to get objective information. There are plenty of people on the board who have dove there, and maybe even live there - that's one of the reasons people come ask questions on SB. (This applies to most places!)

Obviously local dive shops will have information and people will contact them. But asking a local shop who who to use or avoid, or certain other things, is hardly the way to get objective information. There are plenty of people on the board who have dove there, and maybe even live there - that's one of the reasons people come ask questions on SB. (This applies to most places!)
I'm pretty sure he was referring to dive sites not shop selection. At least I hope so.

we'll be in country at the same time, but we opted for a lob with day excursions before and after. I haven't been there, but nothing about the Blue Hole appeals to us. Based on reviews and posted videos, we'll probably dive the barrier reef that day.

Not to come across as a jerk, but what are your expectations of the Blue Hole?

You mean to infer here that it's not really blue?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom