Any comments about the Sport KISS Rebreather.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only did pool dives on the two of them at Zero Gravity but here's my take from diving a production KISS and one of the prototype Sport units.

If this is the only rebreather you are going to own, buy the KISS, the extra cost is worth the robust build quality and depth ratings. It is really well designed and built to extremely high quality. It really isn't that much larger than the Sport model by volume, but it is heavier due to the build quality.

The Sport is probably also going to have an Aluminum case option which is supposed to weigh in around 36lbs without the BC-Backplate/Wing (stock is steel case). That's loaded with full cylinders and sorb! This would make for a great travel rebreather, it will definately fit in the overhead, if you knew you could rent cylinders on the other end it would really travel light. It would make it worth taking somewhere if you only thought you were going to get a couple days of diving and might not want to schlep heavy gear. The sport also looks like it will be very popular with smaller women divers due to it's compact form factor.

The KISS valve on the Sport is going to be polycarb not steel. I don't think it's a big deal but probably not as indestructible.

I also found the Oxy A-pac was not the most stable BC on my frame, I would go BP/WING or whatever BC you have around first. I suspect if I had spent a little more time fitting it I could have made it work, it seemed fine on Gordon.

Doug

Thanks Doug, i liked this post...

/Jonny

Back
Top Bottom