Any cheap solution to warmer undergarment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ProudNPrejudiced

Registered
Reaction score
Its getting cold...fortunately the diving is still good in California, but my extremities are getting blue a lot faster, and lavacore skins and the like are expensive. Anybody have any cheap solutions that adds a bit of warmth under a wetsuit? I'm already using a 5/3 henderson vest. Does close fitting athletic wear help or make it worse?

That being said, are lavacores worth it?

I've used Lavacore and they add a little more warmth under a wet suit......But the best, economical way to get greater warmth is a 'shorty' over your full wet suit....A 5/3 (or 7mm if you can find one) shorty over (or under if you like that better) a 7mm full has kept me warm in 60 degree waters......Will make you feel and look like the Pillsbury Dough Boy, but works........Any colder and you're better off going to a dry suit.......

Another possibility is getting a skin to wear under your suit. I use a SEAC Warm Guard 1mm with a satin plush inner lining. I've had that on in 78 degree water with no other suit and stayed warm on a 2 hour dive! I've been hot with it on in 82 degree water.

I use a 7mm here in San Diego and it does ok, temp usually in the mid 50s. Sometime I wear a rash guard underneath which seems to help. It the surface interval that gets cold. I'm in the process of switching to a drysuit.

Get a good quality hoodie of 5-7mm. This will make a huge difference to your comform levels. Start with your head!

I've always dived cold water and find the 7mm farmer john style with a 2mm hooded vest is the best for water from 60F to 50F for me. That combo covers my torso with 16mm of neoprene and my hips/crotch with 14mm of neoprene. If your core is warm your body will allow blood to flow to your extremites and help keep them warm. If your core is cold your body will use the blood that would have gone to your extremities and use it to warm your core. I dive a 4mm crushed neoprene dry suit in the winter. My hands only need 5mm wet gloves to stay warm because my core is warm.

Back
Top Bottom