Any cheap IDC programs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blueabyss007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking at different PADI IDC programs and would love to find one that is willing to certify me as an instructor for trade in labor or little tuition costs. I have heard they exist but am having trouble finding one online. I am currently working on DM and will be finished by summer. If anyone has heard or knows of such a place (that is reputable) please let me know. Thanks. Eric

Any cheap IDC programs?

Wouldn't be the #1 criteria I'd use in selecting a place for training.

In fact I recall a sign we had hanging in a bike shop I worked at in high school"

"Cheap or Good: Pick one."

I have to agree with RJP, you get that for which you pay. Why would you want a cheap IDC? Go someplace that has credability like EASE or Hall's. I paid over 700 bucks for my divemaster course, and it was worth every penny.

If anyone has heard or knows of such a place (that is reputable) please let me know. Thanks. Eric

This is pretty much an oxymoron - somewhere that is reputable is going to know the value of the programmes they offer, and charge accordingly.

Saying that, we did do "special" deals for some of our DMs who wished to do an IDC, but I don't think you'd ever get such a deal walking in off the street. Most of our DMS had given up hundreds of hours of their time in assisting courses for free, so a subsidised IDC was one way of saying thankyou.

If you want "cheap", then look at where the exchange rate allows to pay less in your local currency - but the IDC is still "valuable" in local currency. But don't forget to factor in travel and accomodation. I'd guess that all in all, what you save because of a strong currency will be offset by the flight cost alone.

If you really want to be an instructor, just pay the going rate in your local area and then work out how to earn enough through teaching scuba to pay it off. I paid for my IDC in the first 12 months of teaching (part time).

If you factor in opportunity costs then I wouldn't call any IDC "cheap".

I'd say it's better to spend the money on a good program, and make up the costs through teaching, then to attend a "cheap" IDC with a sub-par program. Your future students will appreciate it, I'm sure.

Just my .02.

Thanks for the input! I guess i should have used the term, inexpensive. I just don't see how I can go to florida to a facility and pay 1200.00 for tuition and some places like Halls or the PADI resort in Bali are asking for almost 7gs. I Manage a shop here in NC so the materials wouldn't be a big issue. We are not an IDC dev. center so I will have to else where. After posting here I did some more research and found you guys are right, you get what you pay for! At this point i'm just wondering hw difficult or easy it will be to find employment in a state with a warmer year round climate. Thanks for all the advice. Eric

IF you're planning to make a living out of teaching SCUBA.:shocked2:

STOP RIGHT NOW

Most instructors do this as a side job.Just for the love of the sport.

An old scuba saying says,If you want to make a million in the industry,bring 3. :depressed:

Payment isn't that bad but the hours are.
Unless you want to work your butt of 24/7,please do find a job that pay's the bills.:D

BTW I just hate to agree with RJP but man is he right on the dot now.:rofl3:
Nope not pressing the thankyou button.

Last edited:
300bar, believe me I know about the pay part. That's why I do what I do right now, for the love of the sport! I just think having instructor status would earn me more money across the board. I'm on my 3rd season as shop manager and amplanning on moving in the next year or two. Finishing the IDC would just look good on my resume as well as me enjoying teaching the sport I love so much. Thanks for your advice. Eric

300bar, believe me I know about the pay part. That's why I do what I do right now, for the love of the sport! I just think having instructor status would earn me more money across the board. I'm on my 3rd season as shop manager and amplanning on moving in the next year or two. Finishing the IDC would just look good on my resume as well as me enjoying teaching the sport I love so much. Thanks for your advice. Eric

If you're going to be a diveshop manager,You SHOULD be an instructor.:wink:
I never took the NON diving/non teaching store keepers very seriuosly.

Now that I own my own divestore (10 years now) I know I was right,customers keep on asking me,"DO you dive| or "DO you teach".Happy to say, yes on both accounts.:D

what you can do is go to thailand or indonesia in the off season....the price is the same but you will have only 1 or 2 people in your idc and you will learn better.....also you can make a living bein a dive instructor....if you can love the life style.

Also now some of the idc programs give u lots of freebies like accomodation and 2 meals for the duration of the program(dive asia idc), efr instructor course.

live....breathe....dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom