Any certification needed to run a 45ft or above Yacht?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Abaco24

Contributor
Reaction score
Just curious aside from wanting some practice, what is needed to Captain a 45ft to 55ft Hatteras, Carver,Trawler etc. 45-55,000 displacement? Of course for those of us considering new single independence in our mid 40's.:D

For those that are liveaboards please elaborate and your age, why you did it, pro/cons etc. Your experiences.

For me it would be getting rid of most posessions, still working a tele-communiting job from PCB to JAX "around the FL Horn" depending on the weather/storms. Picking a good marina evey six months and the freedom to go when I want to go/dive. As long as I can take a taxi to a major airport for work I'm good. Bike to the local grocery, have a secure marina. My recent 47 made me think of my "bucket list".

Just curious aside from wanting some practice, what is needed to Captain a 45ft to 55ft Hatteras, Carver,Trawler etc. 45-55,000 displacement? Of course for those of us considering new single independence in our mid 40's.:D

For those that are liveaboards please elaborate and your age, why you did it, pro/cons etc. Your experiences.

For me it would be getting rid of most posessions, still working a tele-communiting job from PCB to JAX "around the FL Horn" depending on the weather/storms. Picking a good marina evey six months and the freedom to go when I want to go/dive. As long as I can take a taxi to a major airport for work I'm good. Bike to the local grocery, have a secure marina. My recent 47 made me think of my "bucket list".

A six pack license,aka operator uninspected vessel, if taking out 6 or less.More than that you need different license ,and boat must be inspected.

From reading your post I think you mean for personal use and not running a charter? For your own use in the U.S. you don't need a license. Some states require mandatory boater safety classes. For most the issue will be insurance. If you have had coverage with a company in a like sized vessel it makes it easier. Depending on your experience you can take a Coast Guard Master class in about seven days.FYI for any Coast Guard license you need to show sea time, you might want to start logging that now. I think the master license is a better investment than the six-pack. Hope this was helpful.
Jim
]

In NJ a license is required in ALL waters including Ocean bordering the state

I may want to run US to the Abaco's (of course :wink::wink: Caymans and take passengers for dives and general cruises. I'd like to take a Captain Course in Panama City just in case for some heavier experience. Needed? Maybe not, but to be safe yes.

Comments on Carvers, or Trawlers vs a Hatteras?

I kind of like the trawlers at 8-10 kts and 4-6GPH

A six pack license,aka operator uninspected vessel, if taking out 6 or less.More than that you need different license ,and boat must be inspected.

A six pack is only required when taking passengers as paying customers, not for private use. That said, there are far too many operating boats w/out adequate if any training, a Captains course is never a bad idea, whether required by law or not.

What is the OUPV License?

The USCG Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels (OUPV/Captain's) License allows the holder to carry up to six paying passengers on uninspected vessels up to 100 gross tons (about 75-90 feet long). These are usually smaller vessels that normally engage in charter fishing, SCUBA diving, or tour cruises. As such, these vessels are limited to six paying passengers plus crew-hence the term "Six-Pack." The OUPV License is issued in three forms:

OUPV Inland License: The OUPV Inland license is restricted to operation shoreward of the boundary line, excluding the Great Lakes. This license is valid on uninspected vessels to 100 gross tons.

This license requires at least 360 days of documented experience in the operation of vessels, with 90 of the 360 days occurring in the last three years. Experience gained prior to 15 years of age may not be counted.
The OUPV Inland License can be upgraded to an OUPV Near Coastal License once 90 days experience seaward of the boundary line has been achieved.

A six pack is only required when taking passengers as paying customers, not for private use. That said, there are far too many operating boats w/out adequate if any training, a Captains course is never a bad idea, whether required by law or not.

yup..he did say he wanted to take out paying passengers...Sea School is a good way to get the license done.Taking more than 6 passengers then need master ticket for correct tonnage of vessel.Vessel will also have to be inspected to take out more than 6 paying passengers.

Belize requires you to get a captain's license for any vessel. It's a pretty simple test similar to a temp driving exam for a car, with local rules for certain channels and no wake zones etc.

Comments on Carvers, or Trawlers vs a Hatteras?

I kind of like the trawlers at 8-10 kts and 4-6GPH

Carvers, certainly would not be my choice for ocean crossings.

Trawlers, seaworthy, roomy, and comfortable but really slow, good choice if you're not in a hurry.

Hatteras, Not a bad choice.

Last edited:
Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom