Any bargains in Little Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jandee

Contributor
Reaction score
Waterford,Wi, about 25 miles from the Milwaukee Ha
# of dives
1000 - 2499
For this past year my husband and I have dreamed of going to Little Cayman at the end of March 2009. Once I started to check prices I'm not so sure we will actually go there. An ocean front room at Little Cayman Beach Resort and airfare from Chicago will cost $6000 plus for the both of us. We could go to Cozumel twice for the same money. $4000 would get us back to Roatan, Belize, Bonaire or Grand Turk. I loved CoCo View in Roatan but we like to go some place different every winter. I"m very low maintance as long as I have a clean room, regular food and a excellent dive operation. Any suggestions?

First, dump the ocean-view room.

Most likely, the only time you'll be spending in your room will involve sleeping, biological functions and other activities having nothing to do with looking out the windows.

Go to Boniare, stay at Den Laman, do only shore diving. Hit the Cultimara (grocer), and have breakfast in the condo, a few lunches there or from dinner leftovers, dinners out at good places. It will cost you each about $1150 plus airfare for the week, including rental truck, unlimited Nitrox tanks, meals (on your own), and a bit of booze. If you want to save a bit, stay non-waterfront at Golden Reef Inn, for maybe $200 cheaper.

Easy, very pleasant diving. Really. Beats the heck out of Cocoview, and maybe somewhere new for you.

Gary

I'm not sure you will do much better anyplace else on LC. There aren't that many dive resorts, and while they're all rather different they seem to run in the same ballpark or higher when you add it all up. Little Cayman is great, but what specifically is driving you to go there?

I do prefer the OF rooms at LCBR, it's not just about the view as they have much more space and nice patios or decks - but yeah that would be the first thing to dump if you want to save money. Another is to go at a cheaper time of year, is there a reason it has to be March? They usually have deals in the fall (though who knows about next year as they may have higher demand with Brac getting trashed and reservations getting changed.) You could go to the East End Grand Cayman, stay at Compass Point. It's not LC but still a quiet laid back area, Cayman diving that is just as good IMO, and they sometimes run pretty good package deals though again probably not in March - plus you wouldn't have to pay for the inter island flight and since it's a condo you could eat in more..

Utila? Might not be cheap to get to but can be once you're there. Curacao? Similar diving to Bonaire, actually I like it better, and probably a little easier/cheaper to fly to than Bonaire which you've been to already. Maybe you would like Sunset Waters in Curacao, AI that's not fancy but a good value and gets good reviews.

I have been to all of the places you are considering. Of them I would probably choose Grand Turk. If you can get there for $2,000.00 p/p RT incl. air/hotel I would book it.

Cayman .... bargains .... good one!

I think it has one of the 5th highest costs of living in the world or something like that? Gotta to be cheaper diving on offer somewhere. Everyone in the Caribbean is slashing prices trying to get tourists through the doors with the recession.

Cayman .... bargains .... good one!

I think it has one of the 5th highest costs of living in the world or something like that? Gotta to be cheaper diving on offer somewhere. Everyone in the Caribbean is slashing prices trying to get tourists through the doors with the recession.

The Caymans are not known for inexpensive

The words "Cayman" & "bargain" are not often found in the same sentance although apparantly you can now buy cans of "Amsterdam" beer at one of the offies here for 99 cents.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom