Any advice on needed/not needed accessories?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first purchase was a dive computer and I'm glad it was. This way I was intimately familiar with the workings of it, regardless of where I was diving.

Second purchase was my own wet suit, so I was sure I was the only one peeing in it.

Hello! My husband and I are brand new to diving. We are doing our certification classwork and confined dives this coming weekend and completing our OW dives in the Southern Caribbean in April during a cruise. I have seen some great posts on this site and was hoping to take advantage of divers that aren't trying to sell me things but just have good advice.

We have our mask, snorkel, fins and boots but that is it. Any advice on whether we need or don't need the following things and if we do, what is recommended for us since we will probably only start out diving about once a year (we have small kids) and don't want to spend a fortunate right away.
*watch or computer of our own?
*wet suit
*bcd
*type of bag that works best?
*regulator

I will say we will probably be diving with shops to get started so we will be able to rent as much or as little as we need I am assuming. But any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Oh and this doesn't have anything to do with gear but if you have any recommendations for spots or shops we should book our referral dives with, that would be appreciated too. We will be in St. Thomas, St. Kitts and Curacao.

Thanks!

I am assuming all you dives to start with are going to be vacation dives in shallow, warm, clear water. I would suggest a watch instead of a computer as the computer would be overkill for this type of dive and just another piece you would want to pack in your carry on luggage. I would suggest your own wetsuits as this will help with getting your buoyancy right every time. Rental suits are all going to be different so you will need to make adjustments every time you use a different suit. Most ops rent 80 cu/ft aluminum tanks so once you know what weight you need for that tank and your suit you will know in advance exactly how much weight to ask for when renting. I would rent the BCD as these are pretty much standard items and something you do not want to pack in your luggage if you can help it as it takes up a lot of room. I would also rent a reg to start with as this will give you the opportunity to try different regs before you buy one and if there is an issue with the reg you can just swap it out for another instead of trying to get yours repaired while on vacation. A reg is also something you would want to pack in your carry on so you will not need to do that either. I would pack all of these items in regular luggage and just bring a bag to carry them once you get there. A simple kit bag would be enough to carry both sets of gear to start and could still be used later when you start to acquire more gear.

Swatch watch. Tell the time just fine with the added benefit at 100 feet the pressure will push the face into the moving arms and stop them. Reliable to know when you make it to 100

unless you just have excess cash to burn dont buy anything.

if you only dive a few times a year in the tropics, you will not reach the cheaper to buy limit.
wetsuits are washed by the shops after every use (in a dunk tank)...

There is far more pee in the pools and ot tubs than in a wetsuit, but people dont think twice about dunking their head under water in them.

regulators are well serviced by the diver operations. they are many times better maintained than those used by occasional divers.

regulators used often are far safer than ones that sit on a shelf for a year at a time then get used.

get a watch, not a computer. most of the dives in the places you are going are shallow. rent the computer.. for occasional diving on air, you dont need to know ho to use them.. you will not be logging dives from them or uploading to a computer... there will be nothing to set up with them...

i would buy mask, fins and snorkel...
if you get into more diving then look at regs and bcd.
then computer last.

Of what you listed I would purchase in the following order:
1. wetsuit
2. regulator
3. bag
4. BCD
5. computer

Wetsuit is the item that is most dependent on being a personal fit, and rental suits are kind of gross. If you want to splurge and by more gear I would go with regs next; however, rental regs (as well as BCs and computers) are totally fine for the type of diving you will be doing. My only piece of advice would be to thoroughly research here on scubaboard before buying and don't let a dive shop cheat you.

As far as a watch goes, I have a cheap timex. Doesn't matter if it is a "dive watch" or not, as long as it is pressure rated. I paid like $25 for it. If it breaks I'll just buy another...If you are looking at $250 watches you might as well just buy a computer (Hollis DG03, Mares puck, suunto zoop)

---------- Post added March 22nd, 2013 at 09:01 PM ----------

Yeah if you are only going to be diving once a year it probably makes more sense to just rent. I would still consider getting your own wetsuit however

I would have to agree with this list. Sometimes its hard to find a comfortable wet suite that fits, when renting gear. Its best to be comfortable when diving and this item should not be over looked. Also when renting gear it is imperative that you thoroughly check out the regulator and BC for leaks and operation, this is your responsibility! Buy a mask that is comfortable and seals well, it is best to have one that you familiar with and not trying to figure out when you are out on your dive!

Be very careful of the "rent to own" scenario..... I have yet to see one that is honest.... just follow the advice here, its been good so far.

I will say that prices of a wet suit (if you can fit the "off the rack" stuff), make it possibly a desirable thing to own. Closeouts of previous years models can be a good buy. check reviews if you can.

I think having a wet suit that fits you well is important because it will make your experience more pleasant and comfortable. My wife has a hard trying to find a wet suit that fits her properly, when she wants to rent, and it can sometimes be a roll of the dice. Just make sure you try on a wet suit before you buy it ! Happy diving!!!

Back
Top Bottom