Any advice for diving in Malapascua Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hk_diver

Reaction score
Hi,every body !
I am planning a trip to Malapascua Island on Oct. Anybody had been there before? Any advice ?
Thousand thanks for your help !

One of the best places to dive in Asia.

Make sure to go to Monad Shoal EVERY morning to see the Threashers, best to dive Nitrox 36.
We also saw mantas, eagle and devil rays there. Its OK to go later in the day too but never miss the 5am dive.

The other good site is Gataux Island, plenty of variety there. Even saw my first Pigmy seahorse.
There are a couple of wreaks but they are really deep and not a patch on Monad Shoal.

Best DM (IMHO) is Darren at Phil Isld Divers, definately the best guy to get you up close and personal with the Sharks. Regardless of where you stay I would dive with him.

Gary at Bubble07 is also great but moreso as an instructor than DM.

The island also has just a great atmosphere, good food and nice people.

Hi Guys:

I am also intereting in Malapascua. I believe it is a vry small island off Northern Cebu right? I've been to Puerto Galera 2 month ago, the dives is not at its best.... Very Poor Vis and no pelagics.. However, the food, the resorts and kick back atomsphere was great. How about Malapascua? Is it simular to PG? Please kindly let me know, thank you.

jc928tw once bubbled...
Hi Guys:

I am also intereting in Malapascua. I believe it is a vry small island off Northern Cebu right? I've been to Puerto Galera 2 month ago, the dives is not at its best.... Very Poor Vis and no pelagics.. However, the food, the resorts and kick back atomsphere was great. How about Malapascua? Is it simular to PG? Please kindly let me know, thank you.

Hard to beat for big stuff. Nothing like being circled by 9 Threasher Sharks up to 4m head to tail, often coming within 2-3m.

The DM makes a BIG difference in you chance to get close.

Also beware diving with Air because the best experiences we had all happend at around 30min bottom time, on EAN36 we still had 15min or so to enjoy, on Air it would have been "Hi Manta - goodbye Manta"

Monad Shoal is a cleaning station, so not much good coral. a Few triggerfish, heaps of nudibranches, and who knows what else because I was allways busy lookign for Sharks and Rays.

Evidently the Hammerheads arrive in late Nov but the Mantas are gone by then.

thanks FOX !
There are many good ..good advice !
Which diving shop and guest house are you recommend?
Is the expense high there ?

Thanks again ........

For a Dive shop see Darren at Phil Isld Divers.

We stayed there also, but I think Blue Coral Resort up on the Hill is nicer.

Accomodation is a little more expensive than other places in Phil, especially if you want aircon because the Island power is iffy and resorts need to run their own generator.

Everything else is about the same. Getting there from Cebu is a rather tiring 3hr drive followed by a short boat ride.

Back
Top Bottom