Any advice/feedback on La Ceiba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FastDen

Registered
Reaction score
Hi y'all- I'm heading back to Cozumel for a week over Thanksgiving and am staying at La Ceiba for the first time (I got a week there on SkyAuction for $25!). I'm looking for advice/feedback/reviews regarding best rooms, floors, the in-house dive op, things to look out for, etc. etc. Thanks!

We've been staying at LaCeiba for years. It was sold last year and is now known as ElCid/Laceiba. I was there in September and noticed some changes....

1) Our favorite rooms in the original section have been turned into time share suites. You now have to stay in the tower section. I was lucky enough to get a ground floor room. This makes for a long walk to the dock with all your gear ever morning, usually dodging the hawkers and/or cruiseers. The elevator is very small and very slow...I sure wouldn't want to depend on it in an emergency!

2) I was swamped by the timeshare hawkers every time I went through the lobby, to the point of complaing directly to the manager.

3) The cruise ship docks are very close by. In the past the cruisers weren't a problem at the hotel but this last trip they had virtually taken over the hotels beach and restaurant all day. We had to go off site for lunch in order to get through in time to catch our afternoon boat.

I won't be returning there because of these things.

I think the new owners kept Del Mar Aquatics as the in house dive operation. They are OK. If you can get on one of their small boats it's better but they usually run one of the cattle boats. The shore diving at the hotel is the only thing I hate to leave. The old airplane maks a fabulous night dive. I'll still go back to dive this old favorite but it's not the same as being able to make a pre-dawn dive whenever we fell like it!

I much prefer Caballito del Caribe Excellent knowledgeable DM's, very safe, small fast boats, etc. But the same can be said of several others. Most any dive op will pick you up at the dock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom