Any 5' 7" divers using HP 120 or 130 tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrex

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm thinking about moving up in in tank size from my HP 100, particulaty once I get nitrox certified next month. But I'm not a big guy - 5' 7", 155 lbs. I wanted to hear from other divers around that size using the X7-120 or X8-130. Is the X7-120 too long? Is the weight of the X8-130 too much climbing back up a boat ladder or putting on fins in surf for a shore dive? I've ruled out the X8-119, it seems too heavy for what you get. If I'm going to an X8 I figure may as well go to a 130.

Also do any of you regularly switch between X7 and X8 tanks? Seems like it would be a hassle with the BC strap needing to go back and forth with the buckle location depending on tank size. Any solutions? I still want to use my HP 100 when I know I don't need the extra air.

If you can pick it up you can use it, I would probably stop when my tank weighs more than me. N

I'm 6'1" at 225 and find the 120 to be a long tank. I'm comfortable with it but don't think I would go any longer. My wife is 5'4" and the tank almost goes to her knees when she tried it once.

My GF is 5' 2". She is using HP100cfs and 130cf single.

You can handle it...... Be brave... :wink:

120 won't be yours.... :)

I'm 5'8", 150 lbs. I dived an hp100 for a couple of years, and then moved up to 130s.

I love 'em. The first couple of times it felt noticeably heavier, but then my diving range increased so wonderfully that I stopped paying attention to the weight and just enjoyed all that freedom and bottom time.

I work out in the gym several times a week, cardio and moderate weights.
The 130 is a magnificent tank. I beach dive it, rocky entry dive it, boat dive it, scootter dive it.... When I use my hp100, it feels sort of odd now.

You'll enjoy the freedom, and get very used to the bit of extra weight.

My hp100 is 43lbs full. My hp130 is 56lb. Well worth it.

~~~~
Claudette

My wife is 4'11 and maybe 95 pounds. On cold water dives she'll use a hp 100 and has no problems carrying it around. Nice for her to have a tank that will last her a weekends worth of checkout dives :)

Me doooooooooooo !!!!

the K

I'm thinking about moving up in in tank size from my HP 100, particulaty once I get nitrox certified next month. But I'm not a big guy - 5' 7", 155 lbs. I wanted to hear from other divers around that size using the X7-120 or X8-130. Is the X7-120 too long? Is the weight of the X8-130 too much climbing back up a boat ladder or putting on fins in surf for a shore dive? I've ruled out the X8-119, it seems too heavy for what you get. If I'm going to an X8 I figure may as well go to a 130.

Also do any of you regularly switch between X7 and X8 tanks? Seems like it would be a hassle with the BC strap needing to go back and forth with the buckle location depending on tank size. Any solutions? I still want to use my HP 100 when I know I don't need the extra air.

I'm 5'8" and 155# and have an HP120 (faber). I like the extra weight in my drysuit and with heavy wetsuits. I can keep 10# of weight off my belt plus 6# for the backplate. Overall it feels heavier than my double LP85's but that's more because it's not spread out.

Dave

I'm 5'7" and found the HP120 too long for my body. I have the x8-119 and it is a good size and the weight isn't a problem.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom