Any 10-day Galapagos liveaboards operating?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I heard someone recently suggesting getting on a 10-day liveboard in the Galapagos as opposed to 7-day. What are the current rules? I didn't think 10-day trips were even available now. If they are, does it mean more dives, and if so, at what sites? Or would it just mean side trips on land?

Thanks!

A long time ago, we did the Lammer Law for 11 days. Dove in the am mostly, went on the islands in the pm. As I remember, pretty much 2, maybe 3 dives a day. They were challenging because of the currents. We dove off zodiacs, which picked up buddy pairs as they finished their dives.

I thought that was the case. Thanks for the confirmation.

Actually, several Galapagos liveaboards offer 10-11 day itineraries, but not consistently...just every now and then. The Humboldt has one with availability Sept 18-29 2014. They have to get special permission from the Park and the final itinerary is never approved in advance...usually only a couple of weeks prior to departure.

Actually, several Galapagos liveaboards offer 10-11 day itineraries, but not consistently...just every now and then. The Humboldt has one with availability Sept 18-29 2014. They have to get special permission from the Park and the final itinerary is never approved in advance...usually only a couple of weeks prior to departure.

Long notice useful for planning! :D

Besides the trip mentioned above on the Humboldt, which I believe is now full, there is an 11 night trip on the Humboldt for Sep 8-19 still with spaces. They already include 4 full days at Darwin + Wolf in a 7nt trip but they include other top sites in the 11 nt trip. The Deep Blue also has four x 10 night charters in June and July, with space still available Jul 4-14. There are also some 14 night trips aboard the new Nortada that takes only 8 divers in 4 ensuite twin cabins. In 2015 the Galapagos Sky is running two 10 night trips in August. The plus of a 10 night trip is that you still get 3-4 dives per day, plus the odd land visit, but you only pay one airfare and you get 3 more days of incredible diving.

Is Deep Blue active in the Galapagos?
The Feb. issue of Undercurrent states that only 3 liveaboards are active currently. Clarification appreciated.

Sorry for the late reply but been travelling :) There are currently Galapagos Sky, Aggressor + Humboldt Explorer running trips to Darwin + Wolf. The Deep Blue has taken a hiatus from diving for a few month while they carry out necessary maintenance and will re-start their dive program from early June with a series of four ten night trips to Darwin + Wolf. Also in June we expect to have the new 85ft Nortada in operation, which will only take 8 divers. She looks to be pretty neat boat and is owned by a highly reputable Galapagean who already operates 3 first class naturalist yachts and has been at it for 30 years. The new Nortada will start trips in June but for the moment we are scheduling first trips to Darwin and Wolf in July. So at that point there will be 5 vessels offering regular Darwin + Wolf itineraries. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom