Anti-inflamitories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KimmieR

Reaction score
Howdy scuba friends,

I have a problem with tendonitis in my shoulder. It comes and goes but has been rather painful for the last month. I am working on my advanced certification and would like to make a dive this weekend. Although my shoulder is much improved, I am wondering if it is safe to take anti-inflamitories if I am going to be diving. I have been taking Lodine, but I really dont' think I need anything stronger than a couple of Advil or an Aleve.

Any and all comments will be appreciated.

Kimmie:jester:

Hi KimmieR:

Lodine (etodolac), Advil (ibuprofen), and Aleve (naproxen) all belong to a class of drugs called Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAID's). All NSAID's relieve inflammation, pain, and fever to varying degrees. Aspirin is also in this family of medicines.

NSAID's can cause stomach pain or upset, or even ulceration and bleeding. They can cause intestinal upset like diarrhea or constipation. Some people have changes in their nervous system like malaise, dizziness, depression, nervousness. Sensory changes like blurred vision, or ringing in the ears are sometimes noted. NSAID's can cause a skin rash or itching. Some users experience frequent or painful urination. They can make you sleepy. They can cause kidney or liver damage. They can interfere with other medicines. And the list goes on and on.

The primary intrest in divers taking NSAID's is probably how NSAID's affect blood clotting. NSAID's reduce the ability of the blood's platelet cells to clump together to stop bleeding. If someone has bleeding when on an NSAID they might bleed more than they might have otherwise. If a diver has barotrauma or a decompression illness that causes bleeding, the injury might be worsened by taking NSAID's. Conversely, if a diver has a decompression accident that does not cause bleeding, but does cause abnormal clotting within blood vessels, there might be a theoretical advantage to inhibiting platelet clumping.

No one can advise someone on an Internet message board whether they personally can safely take a medicine. That is between the diver and their personal physician. DAN can also provide information on medications and diving. Their contact info can be found at:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/contact/

Take the time to read the product insert on your Lodine- an informational sheet that your pharmacist can give you next time you fill your prescription. And talk to your doctor to see if NSAID's are right for you when you dive.

HTH,

Bill

Thanks Doc. I will go check out the DAN link. Strangely, I am feeling considerable improvement today. Perhaps I wont need any medication by Sunday after all.

Kimmie:jester:

Back
Top Bottom