Another visitor from SoCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrragon

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, I'm gonna be in the Spokane area Friday to Sunday this weekend (08/15 - 08/17). The wife's in a triathlon. We are then motoring over to the Hood Canal Sunday afternoon/evening then heading back to SoCal Tuesday afternoon. I'll be staying at Mike's Beach resort.

Would there be anyone interested in buddying up with me at the Hood? I'm thinking of Monday (08/18) mid to late morning to mid afternoon. I would have to get to the local dive shop to rent a couple of things, including a bc, weights, tank.

About me - 56 dives in salt water, used to diving in 58 -65 degree water in a wetsuit. AOW with padi.

Is the Hood Canal a decent place to dive? Does this narrow and non-weekend time frame work for anyone?

Hood Canal is a great place to dive. I would suggest Sund Rock a few miles north of Hoodsport. Currents are usually not an issue and it's almost guaranteed that you will see Wolf Eels and Octo's. The only caution I would give is that there is a fine layer of silt in Hood Canal right now because of the storms we had this past winter so good buoyancy skills and fining techniques are important.

Hood Sport N Dive is a local shop that can set you up with gear and a pass to the private parking area. Hood Sport 'n Dive in Hoodsport, Washington

Unfortunately I am locked in the 9 - 5 world so Monday doesn't work for me.

Good luck and have fun!

Bill

As Bill stated, Hoodsport'n'dive will be able to hook you up with gear and most likely a buddy. I will call Ron and give him a heads up that you will be looking for a dive buddy. There are usually divers around to dive with. As far as the viz, my buddy had a class last weekend at the Yellow House (Hoods Port) and said the viz was great, so you should have a great dive. If you need the number for the shop, PM me and I can give it to you. Heck, I don't think there is anything wrong with posting it, it's not an ad or anything. 360-877-6818. They are closed on Wed. but open the rest of the week. Natalie will most likely answer, possibly Ron, and let them know that Joe told you to call and setup a dive buddy. They will do their best to find you a buddy! (great people)
Joe Schulz

Bill and Joe - thanks for the info, and for giving Ron and Natalie a heads up. I'll give Hood sport n dive a call tomorrow morning and see if they can help out. I left an email for them late last night about renting some gear but haven't heard back from them yet.

It sounds like it'll be a great place to go, especially since we'll be right there.

They have not responded because it is Wednesday and they are closed today. I will also call tomorrow and talk with Natalie about finding you a buddy. I work for them as an extra instructor and may be of some assistance. Besides, it gives me a reason to call and harrass Nat. Oh yeah, wish your wife good luck from the dive_pirate in her triathalon.
Dive safe,
Joe

I'm back to SoCal, first time that I'm able to get online since last week. Thanks to John Brown, divemaster, and Hood Sport n Dive for setting me up and getting me over to Sund Rock for a couple of dives. The vis was not great at all, but great to see the octopi, wolf eels, lings, the nudis, and various fishies. Thanks again to Bill and Joe for pointing me in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom