Another tipping question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been to a couple of (purely) dive resorts where guests were told by management on the first day not to tip the staff directly but to give it to management at the end and they would divide it among the staff.

Resort #1 All the staff except management were local people. We were told if we gave them cash they would go drinking and we would not see them for a couple of days (when the cash ran out).

Resort #2 Management an DM's westerners and the rest local people. We were told there reason was to dived the tip equally among st all staff including the ones behind the scene's (cooks etc).

I can see the point of management but on the other hand I could not work under these conditions were my rights were decided for me. Should I denie the same right to someone performing a service for me?. Add to that my lack of faith in my fellow man, for me it leaves a big ? in my mind.

A resort with 40 guests for 10 days, $100 tip per guest = $4,000 x 36 times per year = $146,000.

Your thoughts welcome ease my mind please

Call me cheap if you want,but $100 p/p/p 10day's in a,well you mentioned "locals",3rd world kind of place,isn't that a bit over the top?In places like Africa and Asia $100 comes down to way more than a months wages.And you're paying this for 10 day's.

For example:

In Egypt a head waiter in a big resort will earn about 400 EGP.working from 8 am till 11 pm.
$100 = 540.41 EGP

Call me cheap if you want,but $100 p/p/p 10day's in a,well you mentioned "locals",3rd world kind of place,isn't that a bit over the top?In places like Africa and Asia $100 comes down to way more than a months wages.And you're paying this for 10 day's.

For example:

In Egypt a head waiter in a big resort will earn about 400 EGP.working from 8 am till 11 pm.
$100 = 540.41 EGP

We must all do what we think is right, hence the post (see foot note)

In the US I think the norm is $5 per tank, two tank dive $10 10x10 = $100 A typical diver will do a lot more than 2 dives a day. The $100 also covers tips for DM's, Cooks, waiters, Capt, boat crew, maids the guys that fill tanks and take care of your equipment. So the the $100 is very low.

While the rest of the (civilized ) world is pushing for shorter work hours, more money they (the civilized ! people) want the 3rd world people to work hours we would not, for pay that would be unacceptable to us.

But as I said we must each do what we think is right.

However the question in the original post was, your views on management taking the tips and not allowing them to be given directly to the staff.

However the question in the original post was, your views on management taking the tips and not allowing them to be given directly to the staff.

You're right I didn't answer the question,Aslong as the "mangement" is the captain of the boat I will follow this "rule",but when it's the management of a resort,heck no,no one will be able to check where the money is going.Most of it most likeley in the managers backpocket.:11:

As for my tipping,

bellboy's, roommaids,waiters,and who(m) ever they all get what I think they deserve,in person.
boat crew goes in one pot.

Back
Top Bottom