Another Shearwater question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxE

Contributor
Reaction score
I’m wondering if anyone has any insight on how often the computers see major updates. It seems like 6-12 months after a new computer comes out the AI version hits. I’m very interested in the perdix but for me I would like a computer with the internally rechargeable battery like the teric or peregrine. It would seem like that’s the way the industry and shearwater are moving and for me and how and where I dive there are more positives than negatives. But how long until we see a major update on these ?

One of the beauties of the Perdix and it's Shearwater predecessors is that the battery is a plain-jane AA (yes you can use rechargeables and various Li variants). Despite an "extra" battery being cheap and easy to pack, I'm having a hard time thinking of a place in the world where you couldn't scrounge one up. The rechargeable version needs AC power which can't always be guaranteed to be available

The rechargeable version needs AC power which can't always be guaranteed to be available

I suppose that could be an issue, but I would argue that being at a location without power would be quite rare these days. If needed you can plan around it, a small solar panel and a USB battery with a built in Qi charger would be easily enough to handle charging two dive computers as the batteries are quite small.

I think that most people who buy a Perdix wouldn't consider an internally sealed, rechargeable battery an upgrade. I mean, if you really want a watch sized DC, then I guess that rules out something with an AA size battery. But the ability to just pop in an AA battery that you keep in your gear box or pick up in any convenience store, anywhere in the world is a definite positive IMHO.

If you want to use a rechargeable battery, you have that option too, but I basically put a lithium AA disposable in my controller (a Petrel) and that's it for the whole dive season. I don't think that an internal rechargeable battery is going to match that, and if it runs out on a dive boat, you are stuck.

I suppose that could be an issue, but I would argue that being at a location without power would be quite rare these days. If needed you can plan around it, a small solar panel and a USB battery with a built in Qi charger would be easily enough to handle charging two dive computers as the batteries are quite small.
So you're recommending packing a solar panel and associated "stuff" in preference to a AA battery?

So you're recommending packing a solar panel and associated "stuff" in preference to a AA battery?

Personally I always have that USB battery to charge my phone, and in a pinch one of my Terics. But no I wouldn't go to a place where power isn't guaranteed, I have more equipment than just my dive computer that requires charging.

But in a pinch, you can deal with it for your dive computers at least.

The problem with the Teric is the internal battery will wear out over time. With the Perdix you just replace the AA battery

My typical dive has both a Petrel (AA battery) and a NERD (internal rechargeable). Neither one is a problem. It will only be a problem if you make it into one. At which point the source of the problem isn't the computer, it is the user.

It will only be a problem if you make it into one. At which point the source of the problem isn't the computer, it is the user.

I have a Petrel and a NERD (version 1, with AA batteries). Not sure I understand what you are saying.

You are out on a dive boat with a DC that has a sealed, rechargeable battery. You are about to splash, you turn it on and the battery is discharged. Too bad.

You are out on a dive boat with a DC that takes an AA battery. You are about to splash, you turn it on and the battery is dead. You pop in another and you are good to go.

And yes, if you use a rechargeable, you can make sure that it's always charged before you leave your source of AC power. But I have seen plenty of rechargeable batteries lose charge quickly, especially as they age.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom