Another Shark attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepBlueResort

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/nation/200506/kt2005061322065611990.htm

Diver Injured in Shark Attack

TAEAN (Yonhap) _ A diver's leg was injured in a shark attack yesterday off the west coast of Taean County, South Chungchong Province, maritime police officers said.
The 38-year-old woman, identified only by her family name Lee, was bitten on the knee by a shark while diving for ear shell, and she shouted to her 11 colleagues to swim away from the shark, a witness and emergency worker said.

Lee narrowly managed to escaped from the shark and saved her life.

She was the first person to be attacked by a shark in South Korea since a male diver was bitten to death in 1996. At the time of the attack, Lee was diving at a depth of about 10 meters, about 20 meters away Kaeui Island in the West Sea.

Shortly after the incident, she was conveyed by boat to hospital.

"I felt a hit in the knee, but I can't remember what it was and I did not see it," Lee said.

"According to the triangle shape of the wounds, the attacker would be a 3-meter-long great white shark," shark expert Choi Yoon, a professor at Kunsan National University, said after he saw photographs of her wounds.

DeepBlueDivers:
http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/nation/200506/kt2005061322065611990.htm

Diver Injured in Shark Attack

TAEAN (Yonhap) _ A diver's leg was injured in a shark attack yesterday off the west coast of Taean County, South Chungchong Province, maritime police officers said.
The 38-year-old woman, identified only by her family name Lee, was bitten on the knee by a shark while diving for ear shell, and she shouted to her 11 colleagues to swim away from the shark, a witness and emergency worker said.

Lee narrowly managed to escaped from the shark and saved her life.

She was the first person to be attacked by a shark in South Korea since a male diver was bitten to death in 1996. At the time of the attack, Lee was diving at a depth of about 10 meters, about 20 meters away Kaeui Island in the West Sea.

Shortly after the incident, she was conveyed by boat to hospital.

"I felt a hit in the knee, but I can't remember what it was and I did not see it," Lee said.

"According to the triangle shape of the wounds, the attacker would be a 3-meter-long great white shark," shark expert Choi Yoon, a professor at Kunsan National University, said after he saw photographs of her wounds.
DeepBlueDivers-alot of great white attacks on divers lately eh? Though I couldn't tell for sure from the article if the diver had scuba on or not. Same with the South African incident an the past couple days-also a GW.Then there was an attack on a snorkeler off N. Austrailia about a month ago or so-also a GW.With an average of 70 shark attacks world wide per year-divers are getting hit hard by great whites lately....is there any runnig count on attacks thus far this year available anywhere?....Peace...Saildiver.

DeepBlueDivers:
Hi

This is a global shark attack file it has some very good info
http://www.scubaradio.com/gsaf/index.cfm
Thanks DeepBlueDivers :wink: -Great site-I'd seen this one before but lost track of it. Unfortunately they lump swimmers, waders,bathers, etc,together-which I think is very misleading-if you go through the data, as I have for many years,swimmers have a far higher risk of attack than waders and bathers. Risk generally approximates the following...surfers>spearfishers>swimmers>snorkeling>fishing/shark fishing>wading>unknown activity>Scuba diving>boating incidents....with by far the most incidents ocurring in the good ol USA .This year is not much different than most so far...confirmed attacks by species are as follows...Great White-3,Bronze Whaler-3,(these guys are really nasty guys to dive with in my experience :crafty: ,but they don't get the "headlines" that other sharks do),Tiger sharks-2,Bull sharks-2,blacktips-2,grey Reef sharks-1,and Sand Tiger sharks-1.This is out of 27 total attacks reported so far(only 14/27 were identified).....Peace...Saildiver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom