Another question about underwater photography equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-=Striker=-

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
About this time last year I came seeking help on a lighting rig for my compact point-n-shoot,here, and received some excellent information that got me setup with a nice rig for my master's work with the ability to expand down the road.

Well this year i'm on the hunt for an U/W lens to go with my PT-048 olympus housing (M52 thread I believe). As part of my work, i'm taking photos of artificial reef nests and analyzing those photos to quantify total egg production in a small goby. Last year the photos i got just didn't have the clarity I was hoping for. At times I'd need to take photos from a distance to make sure i got the entire egg-mass in the shot, making it hard to see individual egg detail. Conversely, on close-ups the clarity was reduced as it seemed the camera was having a hard time focusing properly. I plan to buy a focus light which should help with some of this, but my main interest and question is a decent lens

I'm told a wide-angle lens will allow me to get closer to my subject (improving the resolution and ability to differentiate individual eggs) while still capturing the entire egg mass (neccesary for reproductive estimates). The key part is that I need a lens that will not cause any distortion to the image, which i'm told certain wide-angles lenses may do.

Current setup is an Olympus Tough 8010 w/ PT-048 housing, w/ Sea&Sea YS-02 strobe (Thanks to OceanOpticalSales for the lighting rig).

I don't know a whole hell of a lot about lenses, their effects, etc. but I've done a bit of searching around and I'm thinking about this Sea&Sea Wide Angle M52. My understanding is typically the fish-bowl type lenses cause the image distortion, such as this UWL-28 I was originally looking at from OpOc-Sales until I realized the potential for distortion.

Any input would be great and i'd appreciate. Trying to get some gear so I can take it for a test run on a weekend trip to my field site in a few weeks.

Thanks ScubaBoard!
~Striker

Back
Top Bottom