Another P-valve thread -- balanced & squeeze

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I'm nearing a dozen dives on my new P-valve and between the "existing literature" and talking with buddies have sorted out most issues. I have one remaining problem though, which is figuring out whether the squeeze is normal.

I'm using a light monkey balanced p-valve with quick disconnect. I've hooked it up every dive, but only truly deployed it a few times. Every time I do I seem to get a sudden and dramatic squeeze that takes some work (and mental fortitude) to overcome. I'm concerned my balancing chamber isn't doing it's job.

I have not generally "primed the line" prior to descending, and do dive with the bolt all the way open usually.

I don't use much gas in my suit and especially my upper leg can stay fairly tightly wrapped to my body (not shrink wrapped and definitely not painful, I just prefer the suit tight and have an undergarment that doesn't need much loft to keep me warm enough most dives). Is this preventing the balancing chamber from working, or is the squeeze normal (and if so, how does anyone use an unbalanced valve?!?) Yesterday I stood on the boat ladder with the bolt just underwater and tried again, same squeeze. This was with the suit on and comfortable at the surface.

i don't have a complete answer, but i run my suit snug, too, and the balance chamber definitely works. i do prime before i dive, usually but not always on the surface. i don't get squeeze at all. in fact, i would *like* a bit more squeeze - having the air back up into the she-p can be disconcerting.

so i guess i'm just a data point but i'm sure you'll get better help.

Scottm, I have had squeeze once before, when I didn't add air into my suit until I hit about 8m... I have a balanced valve also (and I just leave it open). I wasn't sure if it was normal or not but I guess it didn't have any air to add into the suit.

Another thought, is it kinking a tad? Maybe check your routing... I have had the valve kink a bit and when I went to go I felt a lot of pressure so I stopped and umm, had to go in small bursts after that or the pressure would build up. On the surface I saw it was kinked a bit and I am thankful it didn't blow off!

Back
Top Bottom