Another newbie asking questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maverix

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello to all ! I posted yesterday in the General Equipment forum asking about equipment, preferences, other divers setups and recommendations and it was suggested that I post over here. First maybe I should regress a little. I am a TOTAL newbie...as in I have been certified for a whole 2 days now. I am trying to gather as much information on equipment and setup's as I can to allow for an educated decision. As a newbie I understand that I know only the smallest part about wreck diving and it takes allot of training, experience and common sense to get to a high level and I am at the very beginning of this new found obsession and I don't have a death wish. I want to pursue the path that leads to diving wrecks and put the time in to earn the right but I would like to minimize purchases that I will later figure out were bad. I will dive shallow reefs with the wife and friends but I want my equipment to lend itself toward diving wrecks because when I think of diving in my minds eye the water is a deep blue. Is it possible to have equipment that can cross over to both sides of diving? I realize that this is a very open ended request but as I said I am in the information gathering stage and I need to not only know about equipment but also training (being from the Midwest not allot of wrecks to dive) locations and recommendations.
Thanks in advance
-Mav

Kansas might not have much in the way of it..but you may want to look into a generally hogarthian/DIR config. Backplate/Wing. Single tank for now I think, but maybe doubles in the future. Singles wing. Streamline yourself as much(read up on it in the DIR/Hogarth forums). Reg-wise, there is a lot of personal opinion, but in the northeast, you would need a environmentally sealed reg. 7 ft hose for primary. short hose for backup on necklace....Jet fins.

Maverix:
Hello to all ! I posted yesterday in the General Equipment forum asking about equipment, preferences, other divers setups and recommendations and it was suggested that I post over here. First maybe I should regress a little. I am a TOTAL newbie...as in I have been certified for a whole 2 days now. I am trying to gather as much information on equipment and setup's as I can to allow for an educated decision. As a newbie I understand that I know only the smallest part about wreck diving and it takes allot of training, experience and common sense to get to a high level and I am at the very beginning of this new found obsession and I don't have a death wish. I want to pursue the path that leads to diving wrecks and put the time in to earn the right but I would like to minimize purchases that I will later figure out were bad. I will dive shallow reefs with the wife and friends but I want my equipment to lend itself toward diving wrecks because when I think of diving in my minds eye the water is a deep blue. Is it possible to have equipment that can cross over to both sides of diving? I realize that this is a very open ended request but as I said I am in the information gathering stage and I need to not only know about equipment but also training (being from the Midwest not allot of wrecks to dive) locations and recommendations.
Thanks in advance
-Mav

I understand the desire to minimize expenses. However, I think realistically you're several years and a lot of dives removed from diving wrecks. And, from your question, I think you're talking about penetration diving rather than investigating the outside of wrecks.

My recommendation would be to get a lot of more dive, more experience and more training. Invest in a decent reg and fins that could be used in wreck diving. Through more experience and the training, you'll learn more about your ultimate diving goals.

Yes.... Wing and back plate. It will grow with you both in the experience sence and in the physical sence as well!

I run two different reg set up's. One is the typical dir with 5 or 7 foot long hose and the neclace. The other is when I certify divers. I use a standard reg set up.

You will need two first stages for doubles anyway so all you have to do is switch some hoses when you go to that config.

Ron

Ron

Ok now I am getting a better idea of what I THINK I would like the hogarthian/DIR configuration is what I was envisioning this can cross the invisible line and lend itself to rec diving and tech diving...right? The DIR is simply a threaded 5 or 7 connection to the reg vs. the standard A clamp? I would guess that there is an adapter that allows the connection of a DIN regulator to a normal or local dive shops tank? how much (I realize this is a very open ended request) should a good 1st rig run? By that I mean:

-Back plate with wings (SS?)
-Harness
-regs
-primary light
-secondaries
-tank
-exposure suits
-Gauges (computer?)
I am sure there are other things I am forgetting but any and all help is appreciated.
-Mav

While not true technical wreck diving, you can start now getting some experience by diving the little wrecks at Table Rock Lake and taking a basic wreck diving course to see how you like it.

I will definately have to check that out. I guess I forgot about Table Rock.
Thanks
-Mav

Back
Top Bottom