Another New ScubaPro MK25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon:
my first reg was an xtreme i fell in love with it. then my second reg was the older cyclon, fell in love with it. breaths great now problems whatsoever. awesome as well in warm water

my girlfriend has the black pearl and the atomics t1 they are great regs, have tried them both but i still preferr my poseidons. call me biased but i never had a reason to get another brand. btw had a atxq00 which i sold the very next day. they dint breath as well:)

TX series is much better for the performance wise... All small size and light weight designs are ruining the performance....

It is just my opinion though...

Agree! Good regulator good resale value....:D :D
Regards
Jason

hoosier:
Good question.

To begin with, I also have a question about your reg. Why are you using Poseidon?
I mean it is a famous reg for the cold water, but you are in a darn warm world....

No, I am only using Apeks and ScubaPro.

1. good regulator. I don't like ScubaPro company as much as PADI, but their reg is a good..
2. good resale value
3. accessibility to the parts.
4. I have all tools and manuals (even MK17 already) for SP and Apeks... LOL~~~ I invest too much already....:wink:
5. Apeks doesn't update their line that much and only cosmetic difference. Currently, I have Apeks ATX100s, too.

hoosier:
It is only in EU and Asia market at this moment...
I don't think that is correct. I ordered 2 Mk25/S600 300 bar DIN regs in December through the shop employee (keyman) program and recieved the TIS2 models.

xiSkiGuy:
I don't think that is correct. I ordered 2 Mk25/S600 300 bar DIN regs in December through the shop employee (keyman) program and recieved the TIS2 models.

You might be right. The full description doesn't mention anything about TIS2 though. Their "Regulator Feature List" shows TIS2.

I hope DA and Dave can verify this information as a SP expert.

reg_feature_list.jpg

I have not seen one yet, but the general description, composite piston, etc, all match the current MK 25 as well as the conical wire filter. No big news there. I'll ask about the "TIS2" specifics at the next tech seminar this spring though.

My guess is the "TIS2" refers to some minor change in the Thermal Insulating System that is almost certainly retrofittable into older Mk 25's (and MK 20's for that matter). Worst case you may have to buy a new mainspring if it has some type of new coating on it or perhaps a new bushing to sit over the piston head and stem.

Having a reg pass CE cold norms/requirements has never impressed me in the slightest as the norms are inadequate to ensure performance in extremely cold near freezing water. Similarly, CE freeflow requirments really suck as they almost invariably result in a compromise in the tuning of the second stage which adversely affects the inhaltion effort.

I like the Mk 25 and it is a great warm water/moderately cold water reg and offers more brute perforance and flow rate than any other first stage on the planet, but until it proves itself at depth in 33 degree water, I will stick with a Mk 17 for really cold water. The Mk 17 is bullet proof in extremely cold water even at high flow rates and it still offers more than enough flow rate for deep air and technical mix diving.

So, is the real change bigger holes in the ambient chamber and a new PR writeup?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom