another manual question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I took the "old" DM course. I know the new course requires DMCs to have the instructor manual. While having this may be interesting, what specifically does it do for the active DM? Is it the presumption that all DMs will eventually become instructors, or is there specific stuff in it that I don't know and should? I know the Standards are in it, but I would imagine there are other ways to check on these (use a manual at the shop, contact PADI, download maybe, etc.). As far as exactly which skills are done on each confined water dive, I have found that the several instructors I've assisted seem to follow the Standards, but what's done on each dive may be altered a bit anyway--one dive may be cut short due to students being cold, pool time constraints, etc., and the undone skill(s) may be added to a dive tomorrow. Or if things are zipping along a skill from the next pool dive may be added to this one .

Yep. Just to have your own copy of the standards, the idea being that you can review it anytime and not rely on the shop or an internet connection to get the info. To be honest, my paper copy is still in the shrinkwrap as I got a pdf copy that I put on my Ipod touch.

I took the "old" DM course. I know the new course requires DMCs to have the instructor manual. While having this may be interesting, what specifically does it do for the active DM? Is it the presumption that all DMs will eventually become instructors, or is there specific stuff in it that I don't know and should? I know the Standards are in it, but I would imagine there are other ways to check on these (use a manual at the shop, contact PADI, download maybe, etc.). As far as exactly which skills are done on each confined water dive, I have found that the several instructors I've assisted seem to follow the Standards, but what's done on each dive may be altered a bit anyway--one dive may be cut short due to students being cold, pool time constraints, etc., and the undone skill(s) may be added to a dive tomorrow. Or if things are zipping along a skill from the next pool dive may be added to this one .

I may be mistaken, but I believe that if you are an in-status DM (current membership & insurance) you can get an IM free.

However, that being said, you should have a current IM because there are courses that insured DMs can teach on their own, exclusive of an Instructor.

FWIW,

I may be mistaken, but I believe that if you are an in-status DM (current membership & insurance) you can get an IM free.

However, that being said, you should have a current IM because there are courses that insured DMs can teach on their own, exclusive of an Instructor.

FWIW,

I'll have to contact PADI about a free one--never heard of that, but you may be right. Though I will probably not teach any of the courses a DM can teach, I believe we got the CD Rom with the 2009 DM crewpack that has all that anyway. Thanks.

Yep, any PADI DM can download a digital copy of the IM from the PADI Pro's site...

As for it's value to a DM, as already mentioned, it contains the standards for the programmes that DMs can teach independently of an instructor, ie. Scuba Review, Skin Diver course etc....

I took the "old" DM course. I know the new course requires DMCs to have the instructor manual. While having this may be interesting, what specifically does it do for the active DM? Is it the presumption that all DMs will eventually become instructors, or is there specific stuff in it that I don't know and should?

Every DM who assists with training should have a thorough understanding of the standards.

I can't speak for anyone else, but in my case the DM's are my team. Together we form THE team that trains divers and I fully expect every one of them to fully understand what we are doing and why.

For example, I debrief with the training team after every session. Together we discuss our team performance and look for ways to improve our collective performance moving forward with a given set of students. I've had DM's who aside from being DM's are doctors, psychologists, managers in business (as am I) and even real-life teachers (which I am not). Together our goal is to deliver the best result we can within the protocol we're using, and in order to do that, the DM's have to understand every bit as well as I do (as far as I'm concerned) where the wiggle room is, where we have limitations due to standards and what the effect will be on the end result.

If your instructor is only using you as an over-trained gear-sherpa or you never assist with training then it doesn't really matter but for instructors who use their DM's to the fullest extent of their training and ability, it matters a LOT that they "get it".

R..

When I did my DM course the instructor made sure I had the manual. Even gave me his to use until mine arrived while I was actually still deciding if I wanted to do the DM thing. Knowing the standards as a pro of any level should not be optional. In fact my feeling is if you are truly going to be a role model and assist with classes, lead divers, and represent someone or something other than yourself you should have the standards for a couple agencies so that when the "why is your course the one I should do" question comes from a student or potential student you can give them a real and informed answer. It will also open your own eyes to the lie that all basic courses are the same.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I'll have to contact PADI about a free one--never heard of that, but you may be right. Though I will probably not teach any of the courses a DM can teach, I believe we got the CD Rom with the 2009 DM crewpack that has all that anyway. Thanks.

It's been available since 2010 for any renewing member. I assume you are getting renewal notices and emails? They mention the digital IM in most if not all renewal correspondence?

The new 2013 is now available to download.

Thanks guys. I agree with all that has been said. My wording was poor--by a manual I meant a hard copy (which I believe is part of the "new" crewpack).

Yep, they get a hard copy wth the new DM crew packs... You can buy them seperatley too, you just order the one without the decal (The decal is only needed for DMTs as it goes onto the DM Application form...).

Back
Top Bottom