Another light questio - PT 400,600 surge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gmbaker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
ok, I did a search and read the previous threads on lights, but still need a little help. I am looking at the Princeton tec 400,600 and surge as a backup light and day use light for lobstering.

I plan get into night diving and am considering the UK sunlight c8 as a primary.

My budget is about $60 for primary and 35 for secondary.

Can anyone help me choose between the 400,600 surge? thanks

Gary

The surge is quite a large flashlight, IMO.. I don't think I'd want that for a backup. UK makes the SL4.. 4 C batteries, quite bright, small.. very nice backup, and it's only $25 from Leisurepro.

The PT 400 is pretty nice, but I think the head is too large for it to be practical for use as a backup... the head makes it about the same length as the SL4, but an inch or so wider and slightly taller. The 600 is kinda overkill for a backup.

I have one of these [UK SL4] on my shoulder strap as a backup, and the Sunlight C8 as my primary light. I'm quite happy with them both.

BTW, the UK Sunlight D8 is only $53 at LeisurePro, you might consider that instead of the C8.

>>The PT 400 is pretty nice, but I think the head is too large for it to be practical for use as a backup...<<

would the SL4 be a better choice just for day use than the PT400?
Is the C* or D* too big for day use?

>>BTW, the UK Sunlight D8 is only $53 at LeisurePro, you might onsider that instead of the C8.<<

I though I read somewhere that the D8 was not that much brighter than the C8;therefore not worth the extra weigth.

I think I might be ready to buy soon :)

The D8 isn't any brighter (13.2 W vs 14 W), just tossing it out :wink:

The SL4 has a pretty narrow beam, I think it's narrower than the Princeton Tec 400, but I'm not sure. I take it with me on all of my day dives, and it does really well lighting up crevaces and getting a little more light on things at the bottom.

Four C cells aren't big at all, really.. it's quite a nice size, fits well in a hand, and the SL4 is slim enough to fit in a pocket or sit against your BC strap pretty well.

Enjoy :)

For a backup light I would look at the SL4 by UK, good light and fits in your BC. My wife had a Princeton tec surge but water got into it on 2 separate dives so we returned it she now uses my Uk D4 as a primary and it works well.

As for a primary light I like the Uk D8 because of the lantern handle on it as opposed to the pistol grip. As far as I've seen the Uk C8 only comes with a pistol grip but I could be wrong. You might also check out the Princeton tec shockwave series they are good lights.

As for the princeton tec 400 and 600 series I haven't heard much in the way of good or bad. For the money I think you can do better than what these two lights offer.

Check out your LDS see what they recommend and what kind of deal they can do for you.:D

to a UK D8 and am very happy with it. I also use the SL4 on day dives for looking under/into crevices and feel it would serve your backup and lobstering duties extremely well. The size is actually great (palm of the hand more or less) and 25 for a super tough light like the SL4 is hard to beat IMO, so I guess you get another vote for the SL4 from me......

Originally posted by mb131
You might also check out the Princeton tec shockwave series they are good lights.

My Shockwave had water inside of it after a 118' dive, and the o-ring was clean and only correctly lubricated with a very light application of silicone grease. I couldn't see any contamination on the o-ring that should have caused a flood, even though it was very minor. IMO the o-ring in this light is far too lightweight for it's intended application. Apart from that it's a good light for day/night diving - just be wary of it flooding on a deeper dive. My experience could have just been bad luck.

just a quick thanks for everyone's help and input. I have decided to go with the UK SL4 and the UK C8 pistol grip. not going diving for a few weeks, but will report back later. thanks.

Gary

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom