Another Kona ques...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So my plan is to dive on Kona the second day I'm there. What is happening with the Lava flow, are there any hikes in which it would be possible to see lava? I'm not wanting to take a plane a helicopter the day after the evening Manta dive, so I was thinking about a hike, is it advisable?

A better place to get info on Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park would be their web site. This is a direct link to the current activity.

According to that page, air tours are the only way to see the current flow.

The link halemano posted is a terrific source of info!

FYI, conditions at the volcano change on a daily basis, so keep checking. Also check for any Fume Advisories since recently parts of the park (Chain of Craters Road) have been closed on & off due to heavier than usual volcanic fumes.

Even during times when the lava flow is viewable "on foot", you normally have to drive through the Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park to get to the trail head, which will mean you'll be above 3,000 feet for part of the drive, so keep that in mind as well if you plan to dive... but there is lots of cool stuff to see up in the National Park even if you do not get to hike to the lava!

Safe Diving!

Here is another link. I agree to go to Volcano even if cannot get to the lava flows, the place is just amazing.

The link halemano posted is a terrific source of info!

FYI, conditions at the volcano change on a daily basis, so keep checking. Also check for any Fume Advisories since recently parts of the park (Chain of Craters Road) have been closed on & off due to heavier than usual volcanic fumes.

Even during times when the lava flow is viewable "on foot", you normally have to drive through the Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park to get to the trail head, which will mean you'll be above 3,000 feet for part of the drive, so keep that in mind as well if you plan to dive... but there is lots of cool stuff to see up in the National Park even if you do not get to hike to the lava!

Safe Diving!
LeadTurn, Kona side was fumed big time yesterday, what’s been happening on Hilo side?

Pretty heavy vog for the past week or so. Seems a bit better this morning (2/28/08).

Yesterday was the heaviest vog on Maui I can remember. Driving home from the County scuba meeting you could see the landing airplane head lights out in front like car head lights in fog or snow.

Back
Top Bottom