Another "Is This DCS/DCI?" Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You've checked off five symptoms there, including two that are indicators of neurological issues with the brain or spinal column. I'm not saying you're definitely bent but if I had a choice between doing nothing, asking random idiots on the internet whether I had DCS, or calling DAN, I know what I'd do

I'll throw my random idiotic two cents in here. At least I'm in good company. :wink:

Hopefully by this time you've gotten professional help. Rapid, spontaneous resolution of neurological symptoms related to DCS is very atypical, but I don't think DCS can be completely ruled out, especially over the phone or the internet. You can certainly call DAN, they're open 24/7 like Mr C said; also, if you're a DiveAssure member, you can call their emergency line (also 24/7) and get straight through to one of our hyperbaric physicians here at Duke.

I'd encourage you to be evaluated by the closest available diving medical examiner. The Fleet Diving Unit has a station in Esquimalt, and the closest available civilian facility is at Vancouver General.

Best regards,
DDM

An update for tonight:

When I phoned DAN, the doctor said that the symptoms matched some symptoms for spinal cord decompression, but since the symptoms dissipated so fast and didn't linger (less than 1.5hrs), it might be something else. However, he cautions me to be careful. I also had a face-to-face doctor's appointment today, but she didn't tell me anything new. She did say that symptoms seem congruent with a tweaked nerve.

The DAN doctor recommended a full physical to confirm that I'm completely fine, so I have that on Wednesday. I've contacted the closest civilian facility with a hyperbaric chamber just in case anything appears wrong, but they haven't called me back yet.

According to this Divers Alert Network , I had three of the major DCS symptoms. The DAN doctor said that had I phoned with the symptoms present, he would have suggested a hyperbaric chamber ride.

Yes, I was an idiot for not contacting DAN immediately (and just "manning up" in front of my friends). Even if you played it safe all dive, I guess DCS is still possible, and it's better to be cautious.

Will update after the physical.

Just wanted to send out one final update. Physical passed with flying colors. Had a blood test done too, but won't know the results for a while (it will likely be healthy and fine). I've also gone on a couple of dives, which went perfectly without any problems. Guess it was just something that was tweaked. Next time, I'll still contact DAN immediately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom