Another Fusion P-Value Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tech3324

Lionfish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a Dive Rite balanced p-valve installed in my Fusion and it functions perfectly.

But there is one problem with the installation that I would like to resolve if possible. The p-valve is mounted through the inner core only and not through the lycra. What I'm finding is with the suit on and plumbing connected, the p-valve tends to turn sideways on my leg due to the looseness (flexibility) of the inner core, i.e. the valve body won't stay flat to my leg. This in no way effects functioning but it does look and feel odd and I don't like it. This tendency for the p-valve to rotate is probably made worse by the stiff Norprene tubing that I use.

Has anyone else noticed this and is there a solution?

Any recommendations for more flexible yet kink-free tubing?

Last edited:
One reason shops install the valve on the inner core ( we do it this way) is because of how the Fusion actually functions. It's meant to be tight on your body. If someone punches a hole in the outer skin where they think it should be, it could be off based on your body type and cause the suit to fit funny. With the heavier skins, you wouldn't have the same twisting issue....with your lycra, it can be pretty annoying when it twists. If you want it thru the skin, we recommend putting on your full undergarment and drysuit. Then move around for a couple minutes so everything gets situated and comfy. Then, mark your hole in the center of the valve and cut/burn to the proper diameter.

You can always add a valve pad to the outer skin, and run the p-valve thru that. Mcmaster Carr sells one, but I can't remember where it is located on their site, I will look. Or you can even sew something onto the skin. The beauty of the outer skin is it can't be compromised to make the suit leak. So you can sew or glue anything onto it. Even some old neoprene will help prevent your issue. Just make sure you are fully ready to do this as the hole is permanent.

Do you purge your suit of air on the surface? I only ask because you should be able to purge the air, and adjust the valve on the surface. When the suit is purged and tight on your body, that valve shouldn't be able to turn...just another thing to try before putting a hole in your suit.

I've just made a hole in the Lycra and pushed the cap through it. (Be sure to make the hole SMALL -- that's SMALL -- so it doesn't unravel.)

You can always add a valve pad to the outer skin, and run the p-valve thru that. Mcmaster Carr sells one, but I can't remember where it is located on their site, I will look. Or you can even sew something onto the skin. The beauty of the outer skin is it can't be compromised to make the suit leak. So you can sew or glue anything onto it. Even some old neoprene will help prevent your issue. Just make sure you are fully ready to do this as the hole is permanent.
I had considered a valve pad for the inner core and may still go that route. I would appreciate a McMaster link if you have one, I couldn't find a valve pad in their catalog.

Do you purge your suit of air on the surface? I only ask because you should be able to purge the air, and adjust the valve on the surface. When the suit is purged and tight on your body, that valve shouldn't be able to turn...just another thing to try before putting a hole in your suit.
Good idea. I've gotten out of the habit of purging the suit because so little air was ever trapped. I will experiment with your technique to get the valve aligned.

Another idea I'm going to try is the softer and more flexible Tygon tubing in place of Norprene. That was suggested by "spectrum" http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/exposure-suits/320857-p-valve-plumbing-size-3.html#post6539221 The other advantage of Tygon is it's clear tubing so you could see bacteria(?) growth on the inside. And Tygon is reportedly more resistant to alcohol than Norprene so it's easier to clean.

I'll report back with what worked. And thanks Mike and Lynne.

Back
Top Bottom