Another Full Face Mask Thread...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reef

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Before I get bashed I've used the handy search function, and read a host of threads.:wink:

Over the weekend my wife and I did some cold water diving. Some friends of ours let us use their Kirby Morgan EXO-26's to see what we thought after a quick lesson.

We both really like the mask, and really loved the ability to communicate under water. The mask is a bit heavy, but not bad once under water. The viz on this dive was only 4-5 feet.

I was told the masks was more for commercial use, but there was no reason not to use it for recreational diving as they do. We have looked at the Reef Neptune Space. AGA, Mantis, Scubapro, and a host of others. We both have tried the AGA's on, and Neptune Space. Both us agree the Neptune Space looks fragile.

Where would one buy an EXO, and do the senior members here think it's a decent mask. I could careless if it's overkill aslong as it's safe.

Thanks for your help in advance!

I have found that the Exo and the AGA can give you a good crick in the nexk as your face is always being boyed up by the mask volume. When doing work in the vertical this is not much of a problem, but for long duration swims on the horizontal it can become a factor.

I'd suggest that you try your friends mask a few times and see how you are after 40 to 60 minutes.

Also, you may use more gas to defog the mask then you think. Keep watch on how much you use up your air.

Other then that, have fun with it. In cold water and for diver com they can't be beat.

The inability to share gas and switch regulators with a buddy are the primary arguments against using a traditonally designed FFM for recreational diving.

You might want to take a look at the new design OTS Ocean Technology Sysytems is releasing this spring.

It is really nice design, like a improved version of AGA.

The EXO is a great mask as well, and so is the AGA.

I am not a fan of the ocean reef or scubapro models.

What is the new design from OTS, I know there is a new ABV coming out.

Anyway I have used the exo and much prefer the aga, plus the aga's are chick magnets ;-)

You can overcome the issue with air sharing by having a 19-40 cubic foot pony on a gas switch block.

A gas switch block connected to a bail out bottle will provide partial redundancy but does not provide any backup in the event the second stage in the mask fails. (Good) Gas blocks also run around $300 so you are looking at another $600-$650 for what is only a partially redundant gas system to go with what is already a very expensive full face mask.

Another option is to carry a backup mask to allow you to remove the FFM in the event you need to switch to a buddy's octo or your own redundant gas system.

A third option is to consider the Kirby Morgan M-48 Supermask, It uses a detachable lower pod that allows the diver to use any alternate second stage without removing the FFM and without having to have either a gas block or a backup mask.

We ended up going with Scubapro's FFM. The design is simple, and it looks like it can withstand some hard use.

I have to admit I almost decided to go with the Neptune Space, but I can't get over the build quality. The tabs that hold the skirt together just scared me too much.:11:

Back to start again.

The Scubapro fit my wife great, but my face is too narrow.

Does anyone know where can I find the EXO26?

Try the Kirby Morgan KM-48. It will cost less than half as much and is better suited to recreational diving. It fits me and my face is pretty wide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom