Another First for me & dive buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea nmf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Crab Lover and I hit Firehouse today. I hope she posts pictures.

She found two Harlequin Shrimp in a little puka. Neither of us has ever seen these on a dive before. She saw them at the aquarium and knew what to expect.

I, however, thought they would be larger. They are so cute! They remind me of some small alien or a Disney pixar character.

Crab Lover also found in two separate places, very large fried egg nudibranchs laying eggs. In one photo, I provided my hand as a reference. But who knows how the photo will turn out?

We saw a conger eel. I know they are pretty common out there but I rarely see them. They remind me so much of Cecil the Snake, a puppet on a Saturday morning local TV show of my youth.

Anyway, very nice diving and another first for both of us. Three weekends ago we find two nudi's we have never seen and now this. Who says Oahu has crappy diving?

Last edited:
ask and ye shall receive!!!

Our first Harlequins!
SCUBA_0041.jpg

too cute!
SCUBA_0101.jpg

SCUBA_012.jpg

egg laying eggs...
SCUBA_083.jpg

best of the conger...
SCUBA_078.jpg

I also saw more different kinds of crabs I had never seen before... I was in Heaven!
SCUBA_069.jpg

seen him at Sea Life Park, but never in the wild... until now!
SCUBA_036.jpg

hiding in a puka...
SCUBA_004_1.jpg

a lot of action in one little puka!
SCUBA_002.jpg

I thought his eyes were so sad...
SCUBA_0032.jpg

he just wouldn't let go of his new home! (ok, I have seen plenty of hermit crabs, but this one made sea nmf laugh!
SCUBA_023_11.jpg

Not to mention we did the same dive both times, but still find new things each time!

OK. That nudi looked huge underwater! Next to my hand, it doesn't look so big. Oh well. Oh, and for those that think I was touching the reef, I wasn't. Just holding it above the reef.

That hermit crab was NOT letting go of that new shell. You know how when you touch the shell of the hermit crab, it retreats? Not this guy! He was moving on up!

Wow!! You guys hit the mother lode on that dive. Cool finds. It goes to show you, Oahu has great diving...! The harlequins are amazing. They are territorial, so you guys should most likely see them again at the same spot.

Back
Top Bottom