Another few questions about Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bear Hunter

Reaction score
I am getting married on the 21st of july and flying down to GCM on the 23rd for a week!

MY soon to be wife just completed here open water course and I have been certified for 5 years. I have dove 30 to 40 times a year and she will be very new to this....but then again me too!

We are staying at the Hyatt.

Is this a good hotel....or can anyone tell use about it!

We havent made reservations with any dive operators yet, do we need to do that before we leave or wait until we get there?

Are there anyone that you guys/gals recomend?

we are not in too the cattle boat operations and would probably rather shore dive if it ment lower numbers of people, but would like to spend atleast one day on a dive boat!

If there is anything that you think we should know please dont hesitate to post it here ok!

Thanks
Jason lee

or email me at leeyohe322@cs.com

If anyone on here is a dive operator from the caymans I wouls be interested in booking with you too!

Thanks again

Hi Jason,

Yes, the Hyatt is a very nice resort. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

You'll likely need to book ahead with the dive op if it's an elite one, like Red Baron Charters, DiveTech, Ocean Frontiers, etc.

There is a GC dive operator who visits the board and whom I hear does an excellent job. Her name is "caymancase." Scroll down the posts in this section until you hit her name. Open the post & you can e-mail through the "mail" function at the bottom.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

My overalll impression was that most if not all West End operations, especially the large ones like Bob Soto and TI, tend to have cattle-boat mentalities and babysitting tendencies. Having only dove TI and Fisheye on the West End, I can only report what I overheard and experienced myself.

Fisheye was excellent, good boat, professional people, no stupid gold cards. Their focuse is photography and if you're into UW photos, this is a good place to start.

http://www.fisheye.com/index1.html

On the East End, Ocean Frontiers was superb, good staff, boat, great dive sites and no babysitting. It felt like a pro, world-class type of operation. No BS, great diving. A couple of the best dives on the trip.

http://www.oceanfrontiers.com/

North of West End, up by Hell and next door to the Turtle Farm you'll find Dive Tech, certainly one of the best operations on the island for experienced divers. The can take care of anyone, from beginner to Trimix diver, but for the experienced diver this is the place. They rent UW scooters, have the gear and gas for any depth you want to dive and have an excellent shore dive right there at the shop. They also really bent over backwards to solve any problems and that means a lot on a divetrip. Good people.

http://www.divetech.com/

If your goal is to take in the best Grand Cayman has to offer, try the Best of Cayman deal with these three operators:

http://www.divetech.com/what.htm

2 days with each, West with Fisheye, East with Ocean Frontiers, North with Dive Tech including one day scooter diving off their wall. It really is a great deal and worth the effort. I believe they pick you up for all dives, but we rented a van because we wanted to shore dive the afternoons.

On shore diving GCM, there's a few well known spots on the West End, like downtown and down at the Sunset House dock. You should be able to find a map online.

Try this to start:

http://www.divecayman.ky/sites/flashmap.asp

But we also did some scooter shore diving up on the North side of the Island, not north of West End, but on the highway that runs from Rum Point to East End. I forget exactly where it is, but the best dive we did was at a site called Babylon, really quite spectacular. It's a shore dive, but it's not easy getting out. The water is shallow for a ways and you have to be careful walking out there and then it's a little swim, but well worth it for experienced divers.

I'd have to say it's a mile or two east of Cayman Kai. We suited up at an abandoned house. You can ask at Dive Tech and they will give you directions. Or you can do it from their diveboat.

Of the other operators on the island I have heard good things about Diver's Down, but we did the BOC deal and didn't use them. I also called and asked about how serious they were about strictly enforcing the 100' rule and they said they were serious, so maybe if I come back with the family.

GCM has some of the best diving anywhere if you're willing to go a little far afield and avoid the cattle boats on the West End.

Later,

JoeL

Hi Jason,

You can also email Casey by clicking on the "Members" link in the top right-hand corner of the forum pages and just look for caymancase. The mail icon shows up there too.

Cheers,

I'm always happy to help with questions about the island! And hope to see you next month, Jason.. congrats again on your wedding!
Take care! Casey

dont rush her and both of yall enjoy that trip, be kind to the fish and pet the lobsters

Jason,

First of all, congratulations in advance!

We stayed at the Hyatt last Thanksgiving. Very nice facilities, and the food is great! Try Hemingways if you've got a few bucks to spend-outstanding! My only hang up with the Hyatt was unless you are staying right on the beach, you have a long walk each morning to the beach area and dive shop/loading area. Gets to you after a while...

On site, the dive operator is Red Sail Sports. They've got large pontoon style boats that are well equipped.Excellent staff and very courteous. That said, they are definately cattle operations. If you're looking for the personalized service, this isn't the place.

Definately do the Stingray city dive. If you don't want to dive it, take the sailboat from the Hyatt marina to Stingray city-it's a fantastic sail and most relaxing.

BTW, my favorite restaurant on the island was also the least expensive. It's a little Italian place toward the downtown area. I've forgotten the name-something like Michelangelos or Picasso's or something like that. Incredible food are reasonable (for Cayman standards) prices.

Have a fantastic honeymoon!!

Thanks everyone for the great replys,you all gave me a ton of home work to do now!!!!!!

Thanks again
Jason

I'm thinking that that nice italian restaurant might be Casanova's? One of my favs! They make the best gnocchis!
Casey

Caymancase-

That's the one!! Great Lasagna! In fact, great everything!

Casanova-yeh, that sounds like Michelangelo and Picasso!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom