Another Ebay Mishap - Ikelite Substrobe 50 (Orange - not DS-50)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RussR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After swearing off ebay for a few years I again got swept up in what I thought was a good deal and put the winning bid in prior to doing enough research.

So I am now the owner of an Ikelite Substrobe 50, the older orange model, not the DS-50.The strobe is listed in the Strobe Finder link and seems to be a good strobe but after some further inquires it seems the strobe is not set up for digital cameras. (This I learned from Ikelite)

The seller came back and gave me this information:

“I do not think this strobe has slave mode so it would not be useful without a synch cord”

and

“maybe with the use of a slave sensor you can still find a use for that strobe. You can set up a digital strobe with a dual synch cord, and the other end of the cord goes to the Ikelite slave sensor-to this substrobe... It would be in synch full-TTL,since the Ike TTL slave sensor ought to be useful with this one”

(My camera Setup is Olympus SP350 in the Olympus PT-030 Housing)

So I have the following Questions

1. Should I resell the strobe or can I use it with my setup either alone or as a second strobe on a dual TTL cord?
2. Are there strobes that work with this housing that do not require a new bulkhead other then the Olympus?

I think that is it. Any suggestions are welcome

Scubydoobydoo:
After swearing off ebay for a few years I again got swept up in what I thought was a good deal and put the winning bid in prior to doing enough research.

So I am now the owner of an Ikelite Substrobe 50, the older orange model, not the DS-50.The strobe is listed in the Strobe Finder link and seems to be a good strobe but after some further inquires it seems the strobe is not set up for digital cameras. (This I learned from Ikelite)

The seller came back and gave me this information:

“I do not think this strobe has slave mode so it would not be useful without a synch cord”

and

“maybe with the use of a slave sensor you can still find a use for that strobe. You can set up a digital strobe with a dual synch cord, and the other end of the cord goes to the Ikelite slave sensor-to this substrobe... It would be in synch full-TTL,since the Ike TTL slave sensor ought to be useful with this one”

(My camera Setup is Olympus SP350 in the Olympus PT-030 Housing)

So I have the following Questions

1. Should I resell the strobe or can I use it with my setup either alone or as a second strobe on a dual TTL cord?
2. Are there strobes that work with this housing that do not require a new bulkhead other then the Olympus?

I think that is it. Any suggestions are welcome

Thats correct from what I understand also, about the orange color strobes. i may be mistaken, but they were good for the 35mm, etc

You can go with a Ikelite DS-51 or DS-50 with the EV controller.

You also have the option of using the strobes with the fiber optic cords, etc.

I'm sure there's a strobe on the market without spending $250 to change the bulk head for your set up, I'm in the same boat with my PT-23 housing

I have a used Ike EV TTL controller if it'll work. $75 in perfect shape.

Jack

JackConnick:
I have a used Ike EV TTL controller if it'll work. $75 in perfect shape.

Jack

Jack you have one?

Is it the grey one? or black one?

See: SWITCH SETTINGS

#4100.6 Manual Controller ?

If it will work with the DS-125, I'll buy it , is there anything else I need, like cords etc for it to work?

The controllers will not work with the non digital strobes such as the one you have.

choice
resell it or get a SLR and use it in manual mode;-)

being the dinosaur I am, I still use these orange flashy things!

Yes, swear at yourself, not at Ebay, you need to know what you are getting!

Orange strobes are the Nikonos TTL version. They WILL work with most camera's even digital, but you need the ORANGE TTl sensor. I've got one I'll sell, if you want to haggle. They go from $60~125 on Ebay with average around $90.

One major problem with UW manufactures is that there is very little standardization or backwards compatibility. Ikelite makes at least three sync cords, the blue banded current ttl cord, the red/yellow banded TTL sync, and the black ttl sync!

Sorry to hear of the problems!

Back
Top Bottom