Another ear question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swamp Rat

Reaction score
I've had swimmers ear when I was a kid and I remember a lot of pain. My ears now after doing several dives this year seems to feel "Stuffy" I do a valsalva during the day but it doesnt seem to help. So is this the beginning to swimmers ear? Also some advise on warning signs concerning ears to look out for and what can be done to help ears after diving would be of great help.
Thanks in advance.

Swimmer's ear occurs when water gets trapped in the ear canal.. sometimes from wax, sometimes from a bone spur or funny-shaped canal.
The water softens the skin and alters the normal pH of the skin, allowing bacteria or fungi normally present in the ear canal to invade the skin and soft tissues. this represents a local infection in a very sensitive spot, and hurts like crazy in many cases.

Once you've got it, see a doc and get treatment.

Preventive measures that are commonly used and work well for most ears include a mix of 50% white vinegar and 50% rubbing alcohol (70%isopropyl alcohol in water)
Use five or so drops of that solution in each ear after each dive.

If recurrent ear wax is a problem, first get the wax cleared out and the ear canal and drum inspected by a doctor.
ear wax recurrence can be prevented by using either light mineral oil or olive oil five to ten drops in the ear, then lie down for thirty minutes or so with that ear up so the oil runs down into the ear canal ansd softens and dissolves the wax. Many people choose to do this at bedtime and then sleep with a towel on the pillow to catch the oil and wax as it runs out during the night.
Do that procedure in each ear every week or two and it will prevent recurrence of large amounts of ear wax.

Between the postdive drops above and the ear wax control technique, this prevents the two most common external ear problems for most people.
If you've had previous eardrum perforations or surgeries, check with your doc before using these, but they are usable preventives for most otherwise healthy ears.

This won't affect middle ear problems or squeeze. Since in your case, you have symptoms of an ear problem, but we don't know what it's from, have your doc take a look to get precise advice.
Print this if you want and take it along on the visit.
Many docs will be familiar with these techniques, but sometimes they're not.
If your doc has a better technique or another trick, post it and let us know.

Dive safe and painless;
John Reinertson

Another option instead of filling your ears up with all sorts of minerals and chemicals is simply to have no water enter you ear at all. This is called Dry Ear Diving and is now possible with the ProEar 2000 mask.
Check http://www.proear2000.com
You will do away with Swimmers ear and outer ear infections forever.

I had the stuffy ear sensation when I started diving this season. No pain or discomfort. I've never had swimmers ear but I understand that it is painful. I wonder if this stuffy feeling comes from a bit of air trapped in the ear similar to a reverse block(but not enough to be painful)that is caused by mild swelling of the tissues that make up the Eustachion tubes? My stuffy feeling went away in 5 days and I've not had problems since and have done 20 dives in the past 30 days. Just curious as to a cause since I've heard several people mention this problem this year.

That's the problem with "stuffy" symptoms. There are several things it can represent and no way for me to tell without looking in your ear canal.
Glad It cleared up

Dive safe and equalize early and often
John

My ears cleared up just like yours did. But is their signs that will let you know you have a problem before it gets to the point of pain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom