another ear question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mark s

Reaction score
After every dive my ears feel like there's still water in them. I use a mix of alcohol and white vinegar after each dive and dry them out with a blow dryer but it still takes 2-3 days for them to return to normal. My ears never hurt it just annoys me to walk around not being able to hear 100 percent. I have allergy problems for which I take Allegra before every dive. I dont have trouble equalizing,but when I surface there's alot of mucas to blow out of my nose.We leave for Cozumel in two weeks and I would like to find the cause or a solution before then but if I have to live with it I will. Nothing will stop me from this vacation.Thanks Doc

Hello Mark:

The symptoms you are describing are most likely due to 'middle ear barotrauma'- not water in the external ear. The damage that's done in the middle ear by unrelieved changes in pressure as a diver descends causes loss of hearing and a feeling of fluid which is due to the serum and sometimes blood accumulation from the damage. It is possible that you have some type of blockage of your nasal lining near the opening of the offending Eustachian tube. If this were the case, the obvious reason would be that the mucosa is swelling at various intervals, possibly from the results of allergy, irritations from fumes or from congestion from a thousand other sources. Decongestants and antibiotics might be indicated.

If a good ENT survey fails to expose a reason, then you might need to check into your diving technique. Descending feet first down the anchor line or a down line is helpful in that you can rise slowly just a foot or two and often take the pressure off and clear easily.

There are several things you can do to help make it easier to clear your ears. Firstly, practice inflating your ears several times a day for three to four days before you intend diving but don't do this if you have a cold as pushing infected mucus into the middle ear is not a good idea. Regular use tends to open up the Eustachian tubes. Chewing gum before and after the dive can be helpful. Descending on a down line or the anchor line is also helpful - as is always descending feet first.

Next, when in the water, start inflation from the surface downwards and for the first few feet with each breath. Never wait until there is a pressure on your ears and, if you can't clear or if there is pain, go back up until the
pain and pressure has gone and try again.

Avoiding cigarette smoke, diesel fumes, alcohol and any other irritants might be helpful. Here is an article written by Allen Deckelboum, MD - a diving ENT doctor. Download this article at this web address:
http://www.scuba-doc.com/download/Equalizing_Techniques.zip

In addition, you can use medications that will help you reduce the swelling around the opening to the Eustachian tubes. Most people use and get good results from oral Sudafed tablets. Afrin nasal spray, for a day or two only also is helpful. Avoid sedating anti-histamines.
http://www.scuba-doc.com/entprobs.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom