Another Ear Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PM

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

After becoming an O/W certified diver and loving it!, I've been doing a lot of reading and research on the sport of diving. I'm interested in getting my Rescue cert. and came across some literature that described an ear problem.

"An irritating and potentially very dangerous medical problem that results from a high alkaline PH in the ear canal. Symptoms of this condition can range from minor itch to severe pain, closure of the canal and fever. Infection from lack of quick treatment can cause permanent loss of hearing."

Does anyone know what the name of this divers malady is?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

PM.

It's an earache. High pH promotes the growth of all sorts of nasty things - luckily the solution is simple - irrigate your ears after diving with a mild vinegar solution.
My personal "homebrew ear stuff" is 50% rubbing alcohol, 25% white (I don't think the color matters) vinegar and 25% hydrogen peroxide.
If you want to go the commercial route, otic domeboro is fine, as well as others whose names escape me right now.
Rick

An infection of the external ear canal is referred to medically as otitis externa. Rick's coments on pH correcting drops are good preventatives for this in people prone to this problem.

I, personally, don't normally use preventive drops. My ears have never developed an otitis externa, but it certainly can be a problem for many divers and swimmers.

The drops above are preventive drops, not necessarily curative, so if you have a very painful ear, get it checked out as some of these require antibiotic drops or oral antibiotics.

An obvious question comes to mind-- how can you tell whether the pain is in the ear canal or in the middle ear as in otitis media?

The vast majority of the time, pain from a middle ear infection or barotrauma will not be worsened by tugging on the ear. Otitis externa almost always hurts much worse when you tug on the external ear.

Many divers keep a bottle of antibiotic drops in their travel bag if they are going to areas far from medical care. If you ask your physician about meds prior to a remote destination, think about including a bottle of ear drops

Dive safe,
John Reinertson

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom